• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NSW collecting and storing

I'm going to begin collecting NSW, storing it in a 30 gallon trash can or one 55g plastic drum. That will be on my patio, a good 15+ ft away. I only collect water at high tide, usually a hour or 2 after the tide rolls in. I have used NSW before, and never had a problem with it at all. I'll then dump this into the drum, place a powerhead in the drum, to keep it circulating, cover it up, and just let it be. Of course I'll have to add some salt to it to increase the salinity a bit. I'll use that same powerhead to pump the water to the tank. It may take a little time to fill the tank back up, but hey that's ok with me.

My question is has anyone ever stored NSW like this before?

edwin

Rev, no I never stored it before, shouldnt be a problem other than the fact that I thought it smelled like the Ocean. Sometimes worse than other times. I store 55 gallons of water in my house, and it's clean ro/di water with IO salt added. The difference is, things can and will probably be dieing in your NSW stored water. That Stinks. Some of these things will die in your tank as well, but you have skimmers and other such things to deal with it.

Why would you have to add salt? What is the salinity of the water you get? Mine was always low also, around 1.022 I think. Never understood why.

Hey Hef,

you're the person that got me started collecting and adding NSW to my tank. I've never smelled anything bad with the water I have collected. And ocean water will forever have a certain smell, imo. I definitely won't add it if it smelled or even looked funny. I usually pour some into a glass, let it sit and see if I see any dirt, floating objects, sediments, etc. If all seems ok, I go with it, and like I said, nothing has happened as of you yet, knocking on head, lol.

As for salinity, if I remember it usually is around 1.018 or .019. My tank runs between 1.023 to 1.025. What would be a ideal salinity, as I know some that have their salinity higher than 1.026 with no problems, so they say.

Will you be collecting/using NSW again Hef?

Edwin