• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Odd behaviors

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, the 30g is settled down and I’ve got 2 interesting personalities.

My urchin prefers live camouflage and seems to always be covered in small ceriths and macroalgae...
C24047F2-B8AF-48AD-BAD2-2C12DB4CB9B9.jpeg

And I’ve got an orchid dottyback thats adopted his own coral, which he insists on filling with sand. Took this pic just now, but 2 hours ago i emptied it of sand. By this afternoon it’ll probably be filled to the brim.
Guess ot gives both of us something to do each day.
DA42190F-B182-4F38-9C5C-5D25E165A10D.jpeg

How bout you folks?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I placed scroll up high to avoid that. So now one of the fish do that my green leather coral.

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
My urchin also likes to re-decorate and likes picking up my corals, small rocks, etc whenever he can handle it. I've found a few frags dead or with tissue loss in the sand due to this. Makes me consider if he's worth keeping but haven't banished him just yet!

My urchin loves wearing hats. And my orchid dotty indiscriminately covers corals with sand all the time. So far I’ve been able deal with it. As the corals don’t seem to be to badly effected by this behavior

radiata

NJRC Member
Thirty-five something years ago my two Engineer Gobies tried to kill a really nice blue carpet anemone by covering it with sand. While I do admit that I love Fridmani Dottybacks, I strongly suspect that it is trying to kill the coral it is covering ~ perhaps it had been previously stung by it...

radiata

NJRC Member
My urchin also likes to re-decorate and likes picking up my corals, small rocks, etc whenever he can handle it. I've found a few frags dead or with tissue loss in the sand due to this. Makes me consider if he's worth keeping but haven't banished him just yet!
If your urchin is a Globe (red or blue), I'll take it off your hands if you aren't located too far from me...

My buddy thought he had a Halloween Costume, trying to disguise himself as a chocolate chip starfish. Lol. The other photo was when he grabbed a shell with Zoas and held them upside down as a hat! Lol.

Love him though. An algea monster! Cleans the tank unbelievably well.Screenshot_20201022-001729_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20201022-001430_WhatsApp.jpg