• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ok ... Fess up! Who's running Zeovit?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So who here is/was running Zeovit (in one form or another) on their reef? I'm interested in hearing what you know about it. Please be sure to note whether your thoughts/opinons are from experience or from what you've read online.

I have to admit that I'm completely ignorant on this subject, but very curious.

So spill it!

Funny, all the guys at AO who had just returned from visiting smcooler's tank were discussing the same topic. ;)

I have no knowledge or experience with this one, but will listen and learn with you, Phyl.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not surprised that they're also curious after having seen Stan's tank. That's two for two on systems that I've seen that have blown me away that were using Zeo. I'd love to hear tales on both sides of the coin, of course (while keeping the conversation informative and peaceful ;D ).

I was just baiting you a bit Stan. 8)

I have very little SPS. I run a 'dirty' LPS system. From my limited understanding I believe this is a method to achieve a very low nutrient system, correct?

smcooler said:
MikeM said:
Stan. How long have you been running it?

16 months.

Not to throw cold water on the idea - but could it be that the hobbyist (smcooler) and not the product (zeo) is the root cause of the (superior) system? I am not discounting zeo's impact - but raising the question as to who the credit really should go to.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Before I started zeo and now not a huge difference in sps color, some acros look better and some not as good. Its just another way to keep nutriens in check, there are alot of zeo produts that influence color.

stan

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Monthly cost per gallon? Cost of additives to total system gallons?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, that way it would be easy to gauge what it would cost to run on others systems.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
once you have all you need the monthly cost is not so bad as most dosage is only a few drops, zeolith rocks changes are 6 to 12 weeks depending on the load in your system, you can use just the basic 4 and water changes to get great results, save the stuff like spur2 for when you are well into the system and have a good understanding on how it works, there is a steep learning curve and not much room for error.

s

Ok, just saw this and will jump in here.

I have mentioned it before and I will say it again, I am a strong advocate of a properly maintained tank.

Zeovit IS NOT a magic bullet. It is a system that forces you to maintain your system.

It forces you to keep stable parameters and the corals will tell you that there is a problem if you slip under the parameters.

I saw Stan's tank 3 years ago BEFORE he ran zeo and the tank was similar to what you see now.

I researched it long before I took the jump and then last year September I decided to go with it and I have been running the system since and do not regret it.

20 gallon water changes weekly Seachen salt, Change carbon monthly, BB which I siphon when I water change, Basic 4 (rock in reactor, Bac, Food, Start), Iron, AA.

Running total of 280 gallon system (net).

The initial cost depends on reactor. Custom built reactor or DIY. From there the cost is about $200 for additives. This load will last a few months before you need to recharge.

After that the initial cost will be about $20 a month, if that. I run no phosban, add no other additives. If you change phosban and add addivites in a normal system, there is still monthly cost.

Zeo demands what other systems do also. Weekly water changes (10%), clean the skimmer every three days to keep it in top condition, change carbon and keep parameters stable.

Yes, I believe that the system istseldf depends on the keeper, but I feel that the zeo system helps make the corals "pop" in color. But it all depends on how you maintain and treat the system. Zeo will not fix what is broken, just as no system will do that, either this, or any other bacterial system or just plain simple maintenance.