• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ok, so some people have to learn the hard way

that Wrasses are pretty to look at as long as you CAN KEEP THEM IN THEIR *explitive deleted* GLASS BOX! AAARG!

So, I turn off the pumps as usual today to feed and while I am getting the turkey baster ready to start putting the food into the tank I hear "sploosh" "flop" "flop" and look up in time to see that my wrasse has lept out of the tank, on to the light hood, bounced at least twice and then flipped off the back of the hood, hit the tank lip and flew behind the tank! (yes, I saw all of it, as if it were slow motion!)

I hurriedly got everything out of the way but couldn't reach the little bastard. So I got my 16 year old daughter (screeming about being grossed out the whole time) to shove her arm behind the stand and grab him by the tail. She dropped him in my hand where I promptly dropped him in my sump because it was closer. He sank to the bottom and laid there, gasping for breath.

Just when I was about to start cursing, he sprung to life and started swimming against the current.

I got him scooped up into a capture cup, and dropped him in my 30 gallon.

He looks like he landed in some salt creep on the back of the stand, so he may have some salt burns on him, but he is swimming!

I can't imagine if I had not been there to witness it.

Guess what? The 30 has a LID ON IT!

Anyone considering a wrasse with an open top tank, DON'T DO IT! RESIST THE PRETTY COLORS!

Uggg...

I think my hear just started beating regularly again... Stoopid fish.

Try explaining to a 3 yr old how you brought the wrasse (the one that was found 4 days later behind the tank) back to his mother so it would be happier :'( His response can we get another ::)

Ack.. My youngest is only 20 months, so I have some time on that. Although, she does enjoy "feeding feeshies". Maybe a little TOO much! ;D Out of the 3 of em, at least I may have ONE budding young aquarist!

C

concept3

wow. any reason why the wrasse jumped? knock on wood, I have 4 now, and the blue tang is the only one so far that loves breaking surface when i feed.

None that I can think of. Unless "Dr Evil" (the scopas tang) spooked him when I turned the pumps off. He does this really spazzy dance thing when I turn the pumps off because he knows its feeding time.

That's the only thing I can come up with.

I have heard they are jumpers, but you always think "nah, that won't happen to me!". YEAH RIGHT!

So far, so good. He's up and swimming around in the 30 gallon, and seems to be ok. He's pretty spooked and hiding between two cliffs in the rocks, but he is swimming and not gasping anymore.

Keep an eye on the little buggers! He must have lept at least 4 inches out of the water through an opening no wider than about 4 inches, and landed on TOP of the light fixture, then managed to propel himself off the side. So they got dolphin skills!

He did move again. This time he is wedged in a rock with only his head sticking out. I'm guessing that took some measure of strength to do. He normally disappears at night anyway, so I guess we will see tomorrow.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, look on the bright side, your guy has half a chance. The other day, I found my filamet wrasse on top of the egg crate covering the overflow. He was crispy!

RichT said:
Well, look on the bright side, your guy has half a chance. The other day, I found my filamet wrasse on top of the egg crate covering the overflow. He was crispy!

Ack. I think that would just make me break something. :(

C

concept3

ok you guys are scaring me (been knocking on wood every hour on the hour since 5:35pm)

Merv Rubiano said:
ok you guys are scaring me (been knocking on wood every hour on the hour since 5:35pm)

Yeah, you guys actually have me RELIEVED that I only have a mundane little false percula in my now open-topped hex!

Ok, so he is out and swimming around now. Guess he made it through the rough parts. His pretty purple tail fin spikes are gone (probably from where my daughter grabbed him by the tail), but he seems healthy. No visible marks or scratches, no visible scarring from salt burns. He is still VERY skitish, and runs to hide in this tiny little hole in the rocks, but comes out after a short period of time.

Now, let's see his little butt get out of THIS!

lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

Well, here's an updated shot of "superman". Although I think I more fitting nickname would be "Greatest American Hero" (anyone remember that rediculous 80's show??), but that nickname is too long! ;D

Seems to be doing ok, he came out to eat. You can see in the shot his tail fin spikes are gone, but hopefully they will grow back.

superman.jpg

I don't know about you guys my fish never die they commit suicide. That always make me feel better. Then there is no guilt.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Santa silver back.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 94