• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Opinions on a new return pump

Hi everyone- I am finally going to make a break away from Magdrive pumps. I have been running at Mag9.5 on a 75 gall with a 35 gall sump. (4 feet of head) I am leaning towards this model below, primarily by the write up on prem aquatics site. This pump is 30-40 dollars more then I would like to spend, but then I don't want to go back to reliability issues again.

Ideally, I like to spend between 80-100 if it can be done. The pump would be sitting within the sump and I would like to get between 800-900 gph. Can I get some opinions?
Thanks

Oops... that's what I get for posting in the wee hours of the morning! Here is the pump I am leaning towards. Normally this would be out of my budget for the month, but since the group is going on will spend up to $125. Let me know your thoughts!

Note that heat is not too much of a concern since my system is in the basement with T5s and my skimmer pump is external

EHEIM 1262 Water Pump - 898gph
Code:EHEIM1262
Price: $143.95

Hi Bob

The Eheim pumps are fantastic and well worth the money.....Very Reliable...Very Quiet...Easy to maintain. I ran a 75 gallon Reef with an Eheim 1260 from 1992 to 2000 when I broke it down, with no problems. Well worth the money!!!!

Just be sure to keep debris away from it by mechanically prefiltering the water before it reaches the intake.

Separately, I'd advise that you use additional pumps/powerheads inside the tank to increase water movement. It's important.

Dom

Thanks Guys! I will probably order the Eheim, as it seems to be the next step up.

STCreef - good info. about the head loss. I am looking at that carefully. My tank will require mostly moderate flow, but otherwise this would have been a concern. On paper, it looks like the Mag9.5 has better push for head pressure.

I am having serious second thoughts about the Eheim. I have a Scwd II on my tank and think that the drop to 600gph might be too low for this wavewaker as it cuts flow some.

I do have room to plumb the return outside the sump and since this pump cost around $120, I could get a panworld or similar external for another $50 - $60 and get a lot better flow. I really don't feel like plumbing again for a while, but it seems to make sense and I could put the external return pump to use on bigger system in the future as well

Hmmm...such decisions and the group buy ends tonight.

ANy other thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thx

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Get the bigger pump. I found with the original scwds that we lost 200-300gph of flow with it installed. No need to second guess that. Otherwise you'll end up with 300gph to the tank and it will be LOUD with all the slurping it will do.

Thanks Phyl...I will change directions here. I am already getting plenty of slurping, although I got a couple of helpful tips from Jim Roth when he came by. Now I just have to focus in on a pump that will deliver about 800-900 up to the pump and let it reduce to 600 or 700