• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

opnions please

stats- 30 gal xtall, 20 gall refug, 40 lbs live rock main tank, 5 lbs in refug. 4 inch sand bed, protien skimmer

filtration- love rock, refug, EHEIM wet/dry circulating main tank, HOB overflow circulating water from the main tank to the fuge back to the main.

lighting- T5 HO canopy light, unsure and bulbs right now.

fish- 1 bi-color angel, 1 scooter blenny, 1 blue star leapord wrasse

food- adding live copepods to the fuge and display tank before adding fish as to let the population grow. controlling a steady number of brine and copepods once fish are added.

verts- 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 nassarius snails, 1 sand sifting star, 2 dwarf hermit crabs.

refug plants- 2 shaving brush, 2 mangrove propagule, 1 mat of Chaetomorpha Algae, 1 small roch of maidens hair.

comments, suggestions are welcome.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would be careful with the Bi-Color Angel. Your system should be well established before you add any sort of angelfish.

Here are my suggestions:

The leopard wrasse gets pretty large, and I'm not 100% sure if it's safe with inverts. You would be better off getting a dwarf wrasse (6 line, fairy, etc)
1 cleaner shrimp would be plenty for that size system.
Ditch the hermits and get 10 nassarius snails
You should also have about 30 - 40 Turbo snails.
I don't have a lot of experience with the shaving brush algae, but I'm pretty sure it demands high light and calcium, not a great choice for your fuge, but could be put in the display with the correct lighting.

Last but not least....

4.gif

To NJRC!

thanks for the response, its not the leopard wrasse, its the blue star leopard wrasse, or divided wrasse, stays smaller, about 6 inches max. so no hermits and do turbo snails, ill have my system set up probably a few months before fish get added. also, is it true you h ave to add fish before coral? why is that?

no you don't have to add fish before coral in fact some people suggest adding corals first, just pick something hardy like shrooms or leathers.

thats what i wanted to do, was have the whole tank set up with corals and a good cleaning crew before adding the fish.

Welcome!

Treat scooter blennies like mandarins, not sure there is going to be enough pods to support him in that setup. Especially with other fish who will compete for the live food. Go for some sort of goby instead.

Extra high tanks can be a challenge to keep oxygenated. What kind of skimmer are you going to have? You might want to add an airstone, although the splashing might be a maintenance pain!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The problem that Bill mentioned doesn't have as much to do with the height of the tank as much as it does the ratio between the water volume and the surface area. With tanks marked "tall" the ratio is thrown off. The surface area of the tank is important to the oxygen levels along with the alk (which will become important later).