• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow Gurgling

It's great that I don't even hear the motors for everything, but my loudest piece is the gurgling of my HOB Overflow.

Any methods out there to shut the thing up?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They both do basicly the same thing. They adjust the air water mixture. Do you have anything in there now? On one of mine, I just put a straight pipe in there the level of the waterfall. Now I don't hear the water falling.

Try the stockman pipe, both my lifereef HOB's were loud even with the stockman's, but after a couple of months quieted down, Do you remember how loud my 46 was when I first set it up?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mine were to for a few days. But I liked it since I always lived next to the water. It brings back memories of the old days of campfires on the beach. Relaxing for me.

mikem said:
I think his is HOB with nothing in it Tom. Just the bulkhead.

It's a used HOB overflow that I bought from a member, yes will just the one bulkhead and a sponge over the tube.

The overflow is new to my tank. I have been running it on and off for about a week now. Tomorrow I'm going to Lowes to give the 2nd version of the stockman pipe a try.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our HOB makes a lot of noise whenever we clean it out/change the drain hose. One thing I've found that helps is to take a straw or long piece of 1/4" PE tube and stick it down the drain hole, leaving the end of it just above the water surface. Somehow this works but I can't explain it! I guess it's similar to a durso in that it helps regulate the air to water mixture. I dunno . . . . The other thing we do is to take a small hand towel and fold it up so it's just larger than the overflow box. We stuff that in the top (not far enough down to hit the water) and that seems to muffle it pretty well.

Sorry, I don't have any scientific solution, but those two seem to work for us.