• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

overflow is working, but now I need help with sump/skimmer :)

Dave: I should probably swap those photos out since it's confusing to leave them.. I never ran the skimmer like that, I had it mocked up that way and asked opinions and was quickly told it wouldn't work... it's been insump since. The foam stuff was simply filling the whole sump (not just the skimmer) but has since gone away. Right now things are going fine, I have the mag 18 still running throttled down all the way but bought a mag 9.5 on RC this weekend that will be here in a couple days and will swap them out. Still might try the 20L sump I have since it has more space & baffles and might be able to support a refug, otherwise I'll look into a HOB in time.

Tank is still cycling, going to add more of my existing LR soon to help it along. Photos coming soon :)

Glad to hear it's all working now.

Using a skimmer on a new tank can sometimes capture a lot of "glop". Looks like you are on your way now.

DaveK said:
Using a skimmer on a new tank can sometimes capture a lot of "glop". Looks like you are on your way now.

He is right, specially if the rock is not fully cured and/or has a lot of organic materail from the past. And then, skimmers also skim inorganics too. All of the dust and some of the disolved minerals from the rock and salt will be picked too. And since you have created your own rockwork (if I remember correctly), maybe there was some material there that was left and that did not properly cure and adhere to the rock, but was left disolved/floating in the water.

:D Skimmer was pulling lots of stuff, it's slowed down alot now. I really was surprised at how much stuff must have been in the rock, it looked super clean... then again it's so light and airy that I'm sure organics were inside I know numerous shells fell out as I was working with it. Works for me it got me started on my cycle before I even had a chance to introduce LR etc ;)

I think the funniest part of setting up a new tank for me is the fact that I still find myself staring at it, I KNOW it's just rock and water with no chance of anything alive since I didn't put anything alive in it yet but I still stare LOL I need to toss some of my LR in there so I can at least find a pod or micro star to look at :D

Candi said:
I think the funniest part of setting up a new tank for me is the fact that I still find myself staring at it, I KNOW it's just rock and water with no chance of anything alive since I didn't put anything alive in it yet but I still stare LOL I need to toss some of my LR in there so I can at least find a pod or micro star to look at :D

Actually IT IS ALIVE !!! :) You already have gazillions of live organisms in it. Spores of bacterias and other organisms that were in the air, on your hands, in the old tank, sand, rock, sump that old pump etc have already "hatched" and are "catching rays" from your lights and happily munching on whatever they can find in your tank. This reminds me of that "experiment" I had in the first grade of elementary school when a teacher showed us a glass that was upside down and asked if it was empty. It was not, the air was in it ;) The same goes with the life, it is everywhere you look around, in stratosphere, thermal vents on a bottom of ocean or in ice on Antarctica. 8)

It is amazing what you will find on live rock, even after it's been through an initial cycle. I found new things growing out of my LR for years after I got it. Most of it is harmless.

true true, I should have said live things I can see moving around ;) remember this was not live sand and the rock was DRIED rock from macrorocks. I'm going to put a few pieces of LR from my 50g into it tomorrow though since levels are low so hopefully some pods etc will survive the rest of the cycle and be seen creeping around :D

Hey Candi.I actually used that very same 20gal. sump under my old 55gal. tank for quite a while,and would still be using it if "the boss" did'nt make me get a corner setup to fit in our new house(we were limited on space)
I used the overflow that I gave Mike and some live rock and I never had any problems with micro bubbles or anything.Good luck
So long-Pete

Hey Pete

I actually planned to use it, got the other sump drained and everything moved and... DARN, it wouldn't fit in the stand. It's a 70g oceanic tank/stand with no center brace on the stand but it was just a tad to big, I was unhappy to say the least!

So it's back in my garage, once again going to be trying to sell/trade it when I get a chance and using the prefab one for now.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
I'm not really familiar with those ETSS Skimmers, but is that the drain with the gate valve on it?

I would think the way you have it draining may cause some issues. IME the skimmer should be situated so the water can flow unrestricted back to the sump, The back pressure caused by the way you have it setup may cause the skimmer to not function properly.
Does anyone think a Mod on this setup would work? I have the MTC hard piped up and over from the return. It's working good but I think theres some back pressure. I had a Coralife SS 220 and moded it with 2 T's on the top and short nipples sticking up. It worked real well for the backflow with no water shooting out of the nipples. With my skimmer running off a Sen 700, do you think I can do the same Mod without the water shooting out the top? Thanks in advance.