• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow Rate

arvin

NJRC Member
I have a reefready Oceanic 72 gallon bowfront. How do I calculate what is the overflow rate on this tank?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If has the single 1" drain fitting it should be rated in the neighborhood of 600 gph.

My Oceanic 70 came with 2 holes drilled for 1" bulkheads. The 1 is for the drain and the other is the return. It came with 3 bulkhead fittings, a 1", a 3/4" and a universal which was a 1" bulkhead casing with a 3/4" hole. That is the one you need as the 3/4" is too small for the hole and will leak.

Now to get more flow, I think you can use both holes as drains and just hang your returns on the back of the tank. But you really don't want more than 5-7x turnover going through your sump anyway.

eholceker

NJRC Member
i never quite understand why they would only give you 1 inch drains? If they went to 1 1/2 inch drains and 3/4 or 1 inch returns that would make life a lot easier.