• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ozone Generators

I have been thinking of getting an OZONE Generator off of ebay for a little less than 80 bucks including UPS ground shipping. A gentlemen at my LFS (RED SAND) reccomended one to me because it clears the water so perfectly and it helps to keep algae and MO's down. He also told me that it would help with ammonia and nitrite while making my water very clear and healthy. I haven not heard or seen anyone here on the forums really make use of one that I know? I was wondering if any of you currently use a Ozone Generator. Another obstacle with me is that I currently use a Canister filter. I was thinking of tapping into the return line to hook up the Ozone return or better yet simply running the tube into my skimmer.

Aso

Which eBay unit are you looking at ? And how many net gallons do you have ? I ran ozone units for +30 years. They are quite common in the hobby. Read these first so you know what you are getting into.

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Quite a few people here are using them. However, if you don't mind me saying this, I would strongly advise you not to get one of them for the time being. You have just started in this hobby, with the tank that has to go long way before it matures, and ozone generators are definitively not for beginners. They are usefull ONLY when everything else comes into the proper place, matures and finds balance in your tank. They are used just to get that extra sharpness and polish on already very sharp edge.

And by the way, hooking them into canister filter and therfore discharging ozone directly in your tank is harmful to your tank. Just so that you understand how and and why ozone works in one simple word - it works by "distroying" everything it touches. Those articles that Boomer posted are really good to get the details.

There are a lot of things people can buy to add to their tank. Are they all necessary? Depends on what you are trying to do.

You mentioned on the other thread that you weren't going for the super pricey coral...which leads me to think that a good solid basic set up is what you should start with.

Ozone generators would be imho - a "nice to have" rather than a "must have".

Must haves are thing like power heads for flow, testing kits, lr, and uh, a glass cage. Even lights could be a nice to have if all you want to have are fish...

Anyways - I drive by Red Sand almost every day...just never bothered to stop and check it out. The reviews seem pretty good - but uh if he's pushing an ozone generator on you, new to the hobby, makes me think again... ::)

He wasn't pushing it on me at all. He told me that when I'm ready for the crystal clear setup that I should look into a Ozone Generator because they are very effective at cleaning up the tank. I'm the kind of person that likes to do things the right way from the get go. But I don't spend or buy stupidly before looking at all the alternatives. I was simply asking how they were and if people used them. Those articles I read already were very informative.

He is new so getting the word out building his inventory and getting some supplies into the store is probably high on his priority list. I'm sure he wouldn't mind as soon as he becomes a little more established. I plan to shop there from now on because his prices are fantastic, he is very knowledgeable, and he isn't afraid to cut you a deal if your truly dedicated and a repeat customer.