• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PH Monitor/COntroller

I have my calcium reactor i just set up this last week i have a Mill. PH Monitor w/ it. I was told from a friend to get a controller instead what is the diffence what does a controller do ? Also are the Mill. PH Controllers any good i see them for $90.00
Nick

With a controller it will let you add Ca to your system till it reaches the right level and then shut it off.Were the monitor only shows you the Ph and doesn't regulate your Ph.I don't know anything about that make.

I think the best thing about a conroller is in the case of a power failure (depending on your setup). You can use the controller so if the pumps shut off, the controller shuts off you CO2 supply. This way if you tank is down during the day, you don't come home to a situation worsened by a constant addition of CO2 to your tank. Again I also don't know about the make, sorry.

Hard core reefers say that a controller for a Co2 reactor is useless due to the parameters in which the controllers switch on and off.

IMO, the controller is a good thing to have in case you set your BPM too high or if your effluent line starts to slow down. This way the controller will shut the solenoid down on the regulator before the Co2 turns your media to mush.

As for the power outage, if your using a solenoid on your regulator, you need to plug it in to open the valve, so if you have a power outage, your Co2 bottle will shut down regardless if you have a controller or not.

The Milwaukee's are half the price of a PinPoint and about $10-$12 more than a regular PH monitor, so why not!