• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ph ?

ok so i think that ive narrowed down one of the problems in my zoos not opening. i checked my ph today and it was 8.6!?! what should i do to lower it? my system is about 85 to 90 gallons.. how much should i dose..

razorfingerz

IMO, leave it alone, your pH will drop all by its self.

Any and all test kits are not 100% totally accurate.

Are you adding any kind of a dKH supplement or Kalwasser?

Garry

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bringing your Alk up also resutled in your PH coming up. That probably means that your Ca is low. Do you know what that number is?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not until you verify all of your tests. How are you testing the PH?

a new reading of alk, ca, and pH please? Preferable taken within an hour of each other. I'm going to hold off on giving advice until then.

cool thanks razor. I have a couple other questions for you.

Are you dosing anything besides the bionic?
What type of rock/sand is in you tank?

Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer for example) will raise your alk (2.3meq is a little low) while temporarily dropping your pH.

Here is a calculator to use and I would bookmark it. link I would use this calculator to determine dosing instead of 25ml of bionic like clockwork. Unless your tank is using 25ml a day of course. :p

Also here's a good read about high pH. link

i only really dose one thing.. since i bought a bag of instant ocean salt i dosed a capful of Coralvite.. trace elements. i have live rock and live aragonite sand.

Depending on how often you plan on doing water changes and how large they are chances are that you won't need to add Coralvite.

Do you know where your liverock is from? Fiji, Tonga, Aquacultured?

Do you recently change to instant ocean or is it the salt you've always used on this tank? A change in salt may have been what caused your zoas to close up, but might not explain the pH.

How long have they been closed? Have you done a freshwater dip?

im pretty sure the live rock is a mixture of tonga and figi. i usaully use reef crystals but i was cheap a went with instant ocean this time. i havent tryed a frech water dip.. ill give it a shot. they have been closed for a while.

K freshwater dips are easy. RO water at room or tank temp. A few sprays with the turkey baster like you were cleaning live rock. 3-8 minutes later return to tank. Seeing is how they've been closed for a while I'd aim for around the three minute mark.

so put them in a container with RO and put the polyps for 3 minutes. should i match up th ph and alk? maybe i should put a bit of b-ionic in there?