• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphates/Nitrates

erics210

NJRC Member
Had never had a Hanna tester for Nitrates and Phosphates.
Always used the API tests which said 0.25 phosphates and 0-10Nitrates.
Found out they were much higher when I got the Hanna.
phosphates 1.62 and Nitrates over 70.
So a month in, with less feeding, turning flow off during feeding, removal of some dead spot detritus, more skimming, and a little nopox. Just about 5ml a day for the first week or 2.
I lost all 4 of my jawbreakers, and a few other softies in the past few weeks, so have discontinued nopox.

Dropped my phosphates a little each week.
Today am at 1.12. still super high but 0.50 improvement!

Nitrates are at 36ppm.

I also added ECOBAK UNLS PELLETS. In 2-3 weeks time, they are supposed to encourage good bacteria to help reduce phosphates. Takes a while to build up.

Has anyone ever used it?

Does.itbappear I am on a decent course. Thoughts?

As usual, something's looking better, some looking worse. When I say I have a mixed reef. It's not a joke. Mixed!!!

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Had never had a Hanna tester for Nitrates and Phosphates.
Always used the API tests which said 0.25 phosphates and 0-10Nitrates.
Found out they were much higher when I got the Hanna.
phosphates 1.62 and Nitrates over 70.
So a month in, with less feeding, turning flow off during feeding, removal of some dead spot detritus, more skimming, and a little nopox. Just about 5ml a day for the first week or 2.
I lost all 4 of my jawbreakers, and a few other softies in the past few weeks, so have discontinued nopox.

Dropped my phosphates a little each week.
Today am at 1.12. still super high but 0.50 improvement!

Nitrates are at 36ppm.

I also added ECOBAK UNLS PELLETS. In 2-3 weeks time, they are supposed to encourage good bacteria to help reduce phosphates. Takes a while to build up.

Has anyone ever used it?

Does.itbappear I am on a decent course. Thoughts?

As usual, something's looking better, some looking worse. When I say I have a mixed reef. It's not a joke. Mixed!!!
same issue here im 100% sure my phosphates are high even getting a hanna the problem is brining them down ..

D

Deleted member 27248

How does everything in your tanks with high phosphates look? Are you battling hair algae? If the corals look good, I wouldn’t worry.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
How does everything in your tanks with high phosphates look? Are you battling hair algae? If the corals look good, I wouldn’t worry.
well i have bad outbreak on dinos 5 months in the cycle now the dino has faded and im getting some red slime algae corals look " okay " not great during the dino outbreak i lost 6 anemones tho

D

Deleted member 27248

well i have bad outbreak on dinos 5 months in the cycle now the dino has faded and im getting some red slime algae corals look " okay " not great during the dino outbreak i lost 6 anemones tho
Ah sorry to hear about the Anenomes…but the dinos come from low nutrients not high.

erics210

NJRC Member
No algae whatsoever...but very slow growth and no Coraline expansion whatsoever. (Who h is not all bad). Actually, usually cheato dies on me.this is the longest I have kept cheato. A month or 2 now. Slight growth of the clump.

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_111436632.jpg
    IMG_20211103_111436632.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10
D

Deleted member 27248

No algae whatsoever...but very slow growth and no Coraline expansion whatsoever. (Who h is not all bad). Actually, usually cheato dies on me.this is the longest I have kept cheato. A month or 2 now. Slight growth of the clump.
Let it be ! Hahaha…maybe get a stronger fuge light and let it do its thing

erics210

NJRC Member
Well, have those bacteria pellets in there. Staying on top of my filter sock swapping. And make sure flow is off for feeding time. And maintain my weekly water changes. Also skimming a little more wet to capture a bit more skimmate. Just wanna keep slowly reducing is all. Better growth would be nice.

This tank is beautiful whatever your doing keep doing and don't change it. I hope I can get my tank to look even half as good as this.