• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Photo Period

My temp went up to 83 yesterday :mad: so I changed the times on my halides from 12-6pm to 2:30 to 8:30pm in hopes the afternoon ocean breeze kicks in and keeps my tank cooler(which it has). I was wondering if I can extend the period of halides to 7 to 8 hours or will it effect my corals adversely? My reason to leave them on longer is for more growth, will I get that with them on longer?

Thanks

Ideally, as in "by the book" you want to use 10 to 12 hours of light per day.

However, I use about 8, partly to keep heat down, and partly to keep the amount and cost of the electricity down. I don't think I'd want to go much below 8 hours, but some people do.

I'm assuming by your post that you have actinics on before/after you halides... You should get exactly what you want if you leave you MH on longer. You should probably do this slowly though, and not just instantly add 2 hours to their day. Mine go on from 4pm-1am so that i get the most out of my tank. All in all, i think that they can adapt to anything you throw at em as low as its slow.