• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pick my calcium reactor!!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can look into Marine Technical Concepts (MTC) as well....Good Stuff!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If I wasn't a diy'er, I'd probably get a MTC. Seen first hand and my rank in quality MTC, Geo, MRC, then all the rest.

Contact Steve68 for more info on MTC as well. He's had one running for quite some time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're running an MRC. We had some problems initially with it leaking that they've made good on. Otherwise it's been very nice. I LOVE the needle wheel they've got on it. Very easy to dial in to perfection. I don't have any experience with another CaReactor though.

Oh man, I don't know where my brain was on that previous post (removed)! I totally miss read it.

I've heard good things in general about them. I myself made my own recirculating calcium reactor with dual reactor chambers similar to the MTC design. I ended up converting it to a nitrate reactor however. I then decided to pick up a cheap nitrate reactor but instead picked up one of these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14717&Ntt=calcium%20reactor&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1. You can get a 250g model for $139.99 or a 500g model for $169.99. For my use I just used sulphur instead of C02 injection. It's no MTC but does work well.

Anyway, the 500g unit is dirt cheap and pretty well made except for the way the pump fits underneath the recirc plumbing. It's one of the push in and 1/4 turn locking mechanism. As long as you're a little careful putting the pump on it seems to work well, otherwise it will leak and you'll have to take the pump off and put it back on. I did try it as a calcium reactor too and it seemed to work well but I'd recommend replacing the needle wheels that come with it for something better that won't need constant tweaking. It'll work as good as the "big boys" with a better needle wheel.

IMHO there isn't really much to a calcium reactor so I'd just pick one up at a reasonable price that is big enough to cover you in the future and be prepared to replace the needle wheels on most calcium reactors unless you purchase an expensive one (usually come with higher end needle wheels). I think the needle wheel has more bearing on how well the reactor will work for you, then what brand reactor you purchase.

The one thing I'd think about however is if you want a single reaction chamber or a dual chamber design. Generally speaking (very general) a dual chamber design will have a more constant and near tank pH output then a single chamber design. One thing you can do is connect the output of a single chamber design into a phosban reactor (or similar) and pack it with argonite. By doing this the phosban reactor filled with argonite will help bring the pH up closer to tank pH values. It will also help you in those situations when the argonite is getting low in the main chamber.

I just thought I'd throw that out there since it's pretty cheap and a lot of lfs carry it in stock.

Have you given any thought to what regulator you are going to use?

Carlo

Just checked out MTC. Wow, 700 bux!!! I wouldn't mind paying it if it lasts forever, just gotta get the wife to agree :)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You might be able to get a used MTC from The Reef. Try sending them a message and ask them.

I run the 250's on both my systems, they can be a little bit of a pain to dial in but I am happy with them, my corals and clams are too. Can't beat the price for the reactors that's why I went with them. I couldn't afford to spend $300 + each for a reactor.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
mikem said:
PM. I run 2 of them. They look like they will last forever.

Hey Mike,

What happened to the Coralife you were running?

Bill. I upgraded from the 75gal to a 110gal, so had to upgrade skimmers as well.
Trading it for some nice zoos.

I have an MTC Pro-Cal and I think it would be very difficult to find a unit better than this. Besides the two chambers, it has a line for venting off excess CO2. It is also built like a tank.
Ken

I was looking to buy one through the group buy to save a few bux. From experience, I looked for good deals and then a year later I bought a better one (skimmers etc..) So I ended up with a POS and a good one. Lost money in the end. I guess I have to 2 part a little while longer to save up the cash :(