• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pink 14k ?? spectrum problems

Guys, I recently upgraded my 10K bulbs to 14K on my Current outer orbit fixture.

I love the color that the current 14K bulbs produce, but I have been experiencing some "off color" issues at start up once in a wile.

Whats happening is that sometimes when the ballast turns the bulbs on, one may be pinkish in color (has happened three times so far). The bulbs are all of a month and a week old.

After noticing it, I wait a wile and try to restart in order to achieve the correct color, and it usually works. It can be the right or left side at times.

I never had any problems with my 10Ks.

Any ideas?

When you say that "one may be pinkish in color", do you mean that the bulb starts off that way and then goes to it's normal color, or does the bulb stay that color once warmed up?

Also, what brand of bulbs are you using? Perhaps that brand has "know problems".

It's not too unusual for MH bulbs to differ slightly in color once they are warmed up, but it should be a minor difference.

Since you have seen this on both sides, and didn't have an apparent problem before, I suspect that there is some minor ballast to bulb compatibility problem.

If you still have then, I'd put the 10K's back in and see if you still have the problem. If you do the problem is in the ballasts.

It's also not a bad idea to check all the electrical connections. Maybe something came loose when you replaced the bulbs.

As a last resort, you could replace the ballasts, but I hate to recommend that drastic an action at this point.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a Blue Line 14k 250W that did the same thing. I'm waiting on a replacement

The bulbs are current USA. From what I've noticed it warms up to peak out at the pink color when it happens. Then it starts the next day just fine.

Thanks,

Erik

I called Current USA for tech support. We went over the type of bulbs, he thought that they were the problem, but I explained that it was happening with both sides and that they were changed in July.
They said it's not the ballasts, because they either work or they don't.

He Suggested that I clean the sockets with steel wool, might be oxidation.

I touched them "lightly" with some sandpaper for copper pipes They I had laying around and the problem no longer exists.

Lesson learned: Clean your HQI sockets at every bulb change. ;D

Erik

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very interesting solution to your problem. Thanks for posting it up for us. It may end up saving someone else the trouble later.