• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Please help with stocking my upgrade

If all goes well it looks like in about 2 weeks I'll be upgrading my 50g acrylic to an Oceanic 70g RR w/20g sump.

In my 50g are a clown pair, 6-line, & 5 blue/green chromis. I'm getting a coral beauty with the new tank.

My husband really wants a niger trigger, which I know is probably pushing the size limit of the 70g but I really want to try and work it in since this is the first and only time Craig has really been interested in my tanks.

I've also been eyeing the hawaiian spotted puffer although I don't know if it would be to aggressive and if I'd be better off with a Valentini puffer or if I've already surpassed my stocking limits with the other fish?

Thanks for any advice! For what it's worth I do 20% water changes per week on all my tanks.

Candi

Scratch that plan... I didn't realize the niger can get to 20". Looks like I have to break the bad news to hubby or plan to only keep one until it outgrows the tank (I wouldn't want to stunt one, how quickly do they grow?)

I would say the coral beauty would be a good choice, and they may be reef safe. It's always a risk with an angel.

While niger triggers are docile compared to most others, they are still on the aggressive side, and consider any crabs, shrimp, and most snails you may want as lunch.

Ditto for puffers.

Unless you want a FOWLR aggressive tank, I'd avoid triggers and puffers.

For the size tank you have, I recommend you consider smaller, less aggressive fish. A few examples are PJ cardinals, banggai cardinals, spotted hawk, longnose hawk, flame hawk, royal grama, most any gobi, most any blenny, jawfish (requires fine sand). There are a host of other species that would work out fine.

Thanks Dave!

After thinking it over and talking to Craig (who it turns out really couldn't care less what I put in it LOL) I'm going to be going with a couple smaller fish, although I think I'm still going to try the spotted toby... few people on the puffer site have had luck with them so I'll cross my fingers that he'll be as well behaved as my green spotted was before he jumped. The tank is technically a reef, but it's only been reef since Dec and with the exception of teal green palys and anthelia which I need to majorly thin out and sell there isn't much in there that I'm to worried about.