• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possible disease help!

Hey guys I am haveing a problem with my clownfish. Basically it looks like it has small, infected maybe slightly white raised scales around its fin, fin has a little bit of jaggedness to it as if it were getting nipped at and it is not using the fin much, if at all. All of my params seem fine. It is the larger of my clownfish pair I introduced about a month ago to my nano cube along that also has a 6 line and a bicolor blenny with some shrimp, all of which seem to get along well. Could it be stress? I have been moving the rock work alot lately with my new corals and such. Thanks in advance.

do you have a picture? does it look like this

brook_01.jpg

Clownfish Disease
Clownfish Disease is a serious malady affecting Clownfish or sea horses, and other kinds of marine fish.Various species of Clownfish are particularly susceptible to infection from this parasite. The disease is caused by a small ciliated protozoan invisible to the naked eye. It is a parasite of the gills and skin, and unlike the other protozoan discussed, the life cycle is simple, with the parasite reproducing by cell division. As a result the parasite multiplies rapidly on affected fish, causing mortalities in a short period of time. Affected fish develop body lesions, excessive slime secretion, and increased respiration. In the early stages of the disease all that is noticed is an abnormal paleness of color and a rapid breathing rate. As the disease worsens, lesions will be observed on the body, with sloughing of the skin and mucus. The development of a secondary infection with bacteria often accompanies infestation with the parasite. Clownfish Disease is capable of killing fish within 24 to 36 hours after appearance of the signs of scratching and heavy respiration. Prompt treatment must be instituted if the disease is suspected. The parasite is sensitive to various medications, which can be purchased under various trade names. It is recommended that the fish with Clownfish Disease be treated with medications that contain formalin or malachite green. Medications containing copper should be avoided, as the disease is not readily controlled by copper based chemicals.

no it doesn't look like that that looks more like ich....my camera cant get a good shot of since its crappy. Its just a few white scales that look en flamed and are poking out a of the scales. Only right around the fin and the fin looks like it would be sore he doesn't use it. Like a small bump under the scales causing them to push out at awkward angles.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is he in your display? Any way to get him to QT? If you could get him into QT you could try meds, but in tank I'm not sure if there's much you could do for him. Reduce his stress, lower salinity levels a tiny bit if you don't have much in the way of corals (1.021), lower the temperature to the 77-79 range and reduce the light cycle a bit to reduce his stress if you can't move him.

If you choose to put a med in the display turn your skimmer off. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Good luck.

I dont have a QT tank, just the nano cube, I have another 20 gallon but has 5 inch tomato clowns that im thinking would kill him any ways....they killed my pseudo chromis.... Ill reduce light and hope for the best, i really hope they do because they are finally starting to pair up a little this one has grown much larger than the other even though they are still babies. If anyone else has any ideas or anything please let me know. I also added a good amount of stress coat to hlep with his scales of that seems to be the problem.

You need to pickup a 5 gallon tank and treat him stress coat isnt going to help search for different diseases on google with pics and see if you can figure out what it is before he dies or contaminates the rest of your tank

It looks like it might be what they call acute Brooklynella, or clownfihs disease....maybe.....it doesnt look as bad as even the minor cases, but has the slightly ragged fin and the whiteness around its gills/scales. Any ideas on what to treat with and how to do so? I dont want to have to go out and buy another tank if I can just dip him in something. Anyone had this before?

N

njstillwell

Hirobo said:
Clownfish Disease
Clownfish Disease is a serious malady affecting Clownfish or sea horses, and other kinds of marine fish.Various species of Clownfish are particularly susceptible to infection from this parasite. The disease is caused by a small ciliated protozoan invisible to the naked eye. It is a parasite of the gills and skin, and unlike the other protozoan discussed, the life cycle is simple, with the parasite reproducing by cell division. As a result the parasite multiplies rapidly on affected fish, causing mortalities in a short period of time. Affected fish develop body lesions, excessive slime secretion, and increased respiration. In the early stages of the disease all that is noticed is an abnormal paleness of color and a rapid breathing rate. As the disease worsens, lesions will be observed on the body, with sloughing of the skin and mucus. The development of a secondary infection with bacteria often accompanies infestation with the parasite. Clownfish Disease is capable of killing fish within 24 to 36 hours after appearance of the signs of scratching and heavy respiration. Prompt treatment must be instituted if the disease is suspected. The parasite is sensitive to various medications, which can be purchased under various trade names. It is recommended that the fish with Clownfish Disease be treated with medications that contain formalin or malachite green. Medications containing copper should be avoided, as the disease is not readily controlled by copper based chemicals.