• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power outage, didn't lose anything!

Well, I know everyone says not to use a gfi on critical equipment, but I always liked the personal safety factor. My wife and I went away last saturday for a full week and the lights and closed loop pumps must have tripped on thier GFI on sunday or monday and my brother (a little thick headed) couldn't figure it out. Anyway, long story short, with about 5 days of no lights, I had no losses, all of my sps are fine, all of my lps are fine, the clams are fine, and all of the softies are fine. I lost a little color in a couple corals, but it is coming back very quickly. ;D

Why did my tank fair so well? I have heard of so many disaster stories, but mine was fine! Any ideas?

I remember reading a post not to long ago which talked about leaving the lights off for a couple of days a month. Many reported good results for there coral. I imagine, since you only lost lights a the closed loop you still had the rest of your filtration working as well as oxygen exchange(assuming you have a sump and protein skimmer)

Just my 2 cents.

I always keep a 1500VA or more UPS system in my basement in case the power shuts off. I keep my most in important pump on the UPS. This also help ride the power outage.

Thank goodness! After such a long time without power, I'd be worried about serious problems, but it sounds like you might be totally in the clear (except for the color fade you mentioned)

... so, now that I have my pretty new wall hammer.... can I steal some of that luck? ;D

Was it just your lights that were out or all power to the tank? Reefs have cloudy days, items survive just fine for a number of days w/o lights as long as temp is stable and there is circulation. If it was all power to your tank that was out then I am truly amazed that everything is fine except for some fading

I'm glad for your sake as it could have been a catastrophe. I assume either the power was only off for a few hours or the pumps were on a different circuit and weren't affected.