• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Predator tank FOWLR CUC

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
I know any of these are "with caution" at best, but working on CUC stocking list for upcoming FOWLR. A Zebra Moray, Blue Jaw/Red Tail/Crosshatch Trigger, Porcupine Puffer and Squirrelfish are on the fish stocking list. Are any of the following worth a try with these predators?

Large Fighting Conchs
Black Longspine Urchins
Tiger Cowries
Large Mexican Turbo Snails

Given these fish it will be a higher nutrient tank so just looking for highest potential helpers knowing a few will obviously get picked off. Any others you'd recommend?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The puffer would be my concern with the inverts. All others should be ok (IMO)

I've kept long spine urchins in the past and they do get really big so that's something to consider. I've also been stung by them before and it wasn't pleasant.....also something to consider.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club

I've kept long spine urchins in the past and they do get really big so that's something to consider. I've also been stung by them before and it wasn't pleasant.....also something to consider.
Thanks, their sting is why I'm hopeful they could fend off the larger predators. Typically the preferred diet of Triggers, but I agree I should be safer with one of the Xanthicthys. Tank they are going in is 84x30x30 so not as concerned with their larger size, but I'll definitely respect that sting. Thanks for the response!

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I always like pencil urchins and long spines usually if you keep fish well fed there will be no problem but fish will be fish. I also like large Mexican turbo snails

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

I agree. My Saddle puffer ate the urchin spines and feelers. Its juts a shell on the bottom now :(