• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

problem???

Ok so here is my problem I have a 54 gallon corner bow with a bout 70lbs of live rock and 2 24" actinics and 1 10k m/h.
The fish in it are a small koran 2 small perc a scooter blenny and a bi color psuedo all relatively tiny. I also had some things like mushroom rocks, polys, and a few hard corals and soft leathers. Also a peppermint and cleaner shrimp and snails and hermitt crabs

Well here goes my problem one morning i wake up and smell something burning i look and see that my skimmer wasnt running and it looks like the impeller went on the pump but for some reason there was littel balck specs all over floating in the tank. After some investigating I see that the caps for the impeller must have gotten chewed up and were shreded all over the tank. so all of a sudden all my polyps and muchrooms and everything which where flurishing in the tank where all shrunk and not looking good the fish started to act weird breathing heavy etc.ect also the shrimps i had in there dies and basically all invert I had croaked as well. So I do an emergency ater change and pull all the invert out to my q/t tank. the smails and crabs have survived since in there but all the polys and things havent opened back up and aqctually have died also the m/h bulb I hav ein there is about a year old and i think i need to change it what could be the cause of this....
The only thing that has come back is the mushroom rocks I haveand the fish are back in great health. sorry for the lenght of this and any mis punctuation and spelling errors lol

Is the skimmer the primary means of aeration in the tank? It could very well be that the O2 levels went down in the tank when the skimmer pump failed. That's one possibility.

Why don't you tell us a little more about your setup and what you have running.

Carlo

If the pumps in the tank are causing the top water level to move then that is helping with the O2 air exchange. I'd also think the wet/dry is helping a lot with the oxygen exchange also. So based on that maybe it's not an O2 problem.

It seems as though it's related to the skimmer pump failure unless it's a coincidence. I doubt it has anything to do with the lights. If you were starting to get algae then the lights could be at fault but not everything taking a turn for the worse in one morning like what happened.

Maybe one of the guys/gals with a chemical background could chime in if they know of any poison or reaction that could happen with the pump failure. Seems funny that you smelled something burning. Maybe whatever caused the burning smell also released a lot of carbon dioxide in the tank???

Have you gotten a new pump yet and gotten the skimmer running again? Just out of curiosity (maybe not much help) have you done a chemistry check on the tank?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance but I'm out of ideas. Hopefully somebody else will have an idea or two.

Carlo

no i havent replaced the pump yet i actually let the skimmer sit in bleach because it smelled like smoke in the skimmer i havent gotten around to getting to the store to buy a new pump

I'm almost sure was the skimmer pump, did you check the water in the tank?? like Carlo said the pumps and wet/dry help with the co2 exchange

Gabe

Seeing as you smelled something burning, I would check the pump to see if the epoxy the guts are encased in has cracked. Have you checked for any electricity leaking into the water?