• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Proper diet- are we doing it right

So I figured this topic would bring some good discussion, I recently started researching the natural diet of each of my fish and found that my tanks inhabitants have quite a wide range of diets and that I am hardly scratching surface with what I've been feeding and more importantly how much ive been feeding.
In the wild our fish eat constantly some times several times a day, they are opertunistic when it comes to meals and will eat what's available, for some fish that's inverts for others it veggies of some and lastly some eat other fish. For some of ower fish they eat one of the 3 for others they eat all three. So the question is how do we accommodate all these diets and,make sure ower finned friends eat a balanced diet?
To start before you buy do a little research, ask the store rep what's the fishes diet and what are they feeding them and more importantly have they seen this fish eat. You would be surprised to find that a lot of the wild caught fish won't eat in captivity and if they do getting them to eat is just as hard as providing what they eat.
The next step would be to try and find the food that closely matches what they are known to eat. This may mean buying more then one type of food for just that particular fish.
When feeding you should try and mix it up but if the fish is picky trying feeding the foods it least likes but needs in with the food it loves this will invoke a feeding frenzy in,which the fish will eat thinking all foods the same.. Kinda like parents mixing vegetables in something tastety to get the kids to eat.

In my fridge I have brine shrimp, black worms, krill, silver sides, myisis shrimp, scallops and Pollock. I also keep seaweed and flake food.
I keep this inventory and often change it up to keep my fish interested and eating right.