• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Purple Nudibranch

I just got a purple nudibranch, cute little bugger. The LFS owner and a couple of online stores say it eats algae. Now I am finding out that it only eats a paticular type of sponge and nobody know what species? Anyone know for sure if this animal is doomed?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sadly, I think it is. I've never heard of anyone having long term success with them. It's too bad because they're really cool looking.

Welcome back, BTW. We haven't seen you around in a while.

Buyer beware I guess... Pretty upset about this. My 2.5 year old picked it out, only reason I got it, now she is going to have to watch it die. AARGH! Might try telling her that it "changes" like a catapillar does into a butterfly. One day soon, he will hide in the rocks and then a few days later, he will come out as something different. Then when the day arrives, Ill run out and buy a purple/pink fish. Already have an Orchid D., gotta find something else.

Thanks, finally got the addition finished and moved in. Been real busy with school and work. Ill post some picks of the tank soon. It is healing from some kind of wierd shock.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
IrradiatedReef said:
Might try telling her that it "changes" like a catapillar does into a butterfly. One day soon, he will hide in the rocks and then a few days later, he will come out as something different. Then when the day arrives, Ill run out and buy a purple/pink fish. Already have an Orchid D., gotta find something else.

That's a great idea! I'd say a Helfrichi is good representative of what it could morph into! Good luck with it, maybe you'll have different results and you won't have to worry about it.