• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PVC glue drying time?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're gluing to flex you need to really let it set (made that mistake, lol). Otherwise we usually start it up after the last fitting is in place. We've never had a problem doing it that way. The chemical reaction happens pretty quickly and I don't think "drying" is the same as it would be for normal glues.

by flex you mean flex pvc? well i guess i can fill up the sump today :-\ gunna be alittle scary even tho the glues i know are safe it's just the though of all the money i put into the tank...
Thanks Phyl

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah that flex PVC doesn't really create a chemical reaction like schd 40 does so it tends to take longer to "set".

Try not to be too nervous! But DO be ready to handle leaks. Towels on hand, shutoff for the pump at the ready. You never know!

Good luck!

yeah, i've got plenny of towels ready. umm wouldn't it be smart to move the exaction cord lol :)
well i beter get back to my school work before my mom see's i'm on here. all i can think about is turning on the return ;D
i'll be sure to get pictures when i finish my school work.

Phyl said:
Yeah that flex PVC doesn't really create a chemical reaction like schd 40 does so it tends to take longer to "set".

Try not to be too nervous! But DO be ready to handle leaks. Towels on hand, shutoff for the pump at the ready. You never know!

Good luck!

Yea, first time I turned mine on I was really "entertained" with the cracked bulkhead that shot across the ROOM!

I'm not a plumber so I don't know the correct answer for sure but I remember reading threads on RC and the "come-away" was to wait 1 hour after the last joint is glued, if using schedule 40 pipe, before running salt water through the pipe. It had something to do with the glue being toxic if it wasn't dry.

I've read a lot where people just fire up the system right away after gluing the joint also with no problems. Matter of fact I've never heard of poisoning or system crashes from PVC glue so... I myself wait the hour after the joint is glued "just in case".

Carlo

saltwater4life said:
o.0 wow how did that happen ??? just to much forse shot it out?

I had a nice and large pump on it and i guess the crack in the bulkhead was so perfect and hairline that it just shot a nice and steady stream straight across the room!