• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PVC vs Tubing

So I'm struggling with hard to flex tubing between my tank and my on the side sump. I'm wondering if this is the reason why I see everyone using PVC vs. a clear plastic tube?

Or is it more due to bacterial reasons? I will be swapping out the tubing for PVC this weekend.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
To me, PVC is a much more dependable method of plumbing. Solvent welded fittings are much more reliable then barbed fittings and hose clamps. Plus, the barb fittings significantly reduce the flow. Clear tubing will also build up algae. I've never considered bacteria though.

There is also flexible PVC pipe, sometimes called Spa tubing. It is cut and glued just like normal PVC pipe, but it will bend. It's not as flexible as clear hose, but it will not kink. Also, since it's not a completely smooth surface, a lot of glue should be used with it. It also will have more resistance to flow compared to normal pipe, so where possible, use normal pipe and fittings.

Also, PVC should be be glued together by using the primer and then cement. Usually the primer is they ugly purple that show up everywhere. It's that color so a building inspector can tell it's been used in home construction. However, clear PVC primer is also available. Using it will give you a much nicer looking plumbing job, with no purple runs all over the pipe and fittings.

PVC gives you a true diamater throughout the run. Hoses and tubes tend to lose it around bends. Spa/Pool tubing maintains the diameter but has rigdes all along it and IMO restrains the water velocity.

Didn't know about the primer and then the cement. Back to lowes for some primer. Clear PVC would be great, if they have it, I'll get it, but won't go with anything to restrict flow.

Already having enough fun as it is trying to keep the makeshift sump at a steady water level. I blame the kinks and different size tubing.

Clear PVC pipe is available, see this off site like - http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=4

However, I do not recommend using it, except for things like skimmers where you need to see what is going on inside them. Clear pipe is wonderful for growing algae, and it will be one more thing to clean and clog up. It also costs a bundle compared to normal PVC pipe and fittings.

BTW, you may find that some of the more unusual fittings will need to get ordered on the net. You often can't find things like bulkhead fittings, unions, true union valves, etc at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

I'll stay clear of clear due to pricing and algae. Thanks for the tips about the fittings. What sites online are good for those that I can't find?

If you can't find a specific fitting, the best thing to do is a search on the net for it. Prices can vary quite a lot. Look at 4 or 5 places and you get an idea of what the part goes for. Then select based on price. It may help to do a check on the vendor at "that big reef site" or at, offsite link, http://www.resellerratings.com/ if you don't know about them.

Didn't know they had clear primer. I would try and order the Flex PVC/Spa Tubing from online, I bought it at lowes and I think it was 3.50 a foot. I only needed three feet and it was a must have. Good luck with whatever you decide.