• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question about growth on gill issue

Anyone ever experience masses or tumor-like growths under the gills of any fish? Or jawfish specifically? I just had a jawfish develop a tumor looking growth that became noticeable when I saw the fish couldn’t completely close its gills on one side and a slight increase in respiratory rate. Had the fish for 1.5 years and was otherwise in perfect health. Also, I am very cautious with adding new fish and have not bought anything new in recent months. Unfortunately, the fish stopped eating on Friday and died this morning. Would obesity cause something like this to develop? This particular specimen was always a pig at feeding time…. And most importantly, is this contagious? All other tankmates are long term captive and acting normally.

FF1C081E-F355-4E6C-AEB2-75583099A54F.jpeg
This is the best pic I can get without my high school dissection kit. It was solid an white at one point. I don’t think it’s flukes as the fish lived with this for about a month and was still eating like a slob and behaving normally.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Anyone ever experience masses or tumor-like growths under the gills of any fish? Or jawfish specifically? I just had a jawfish develop a tumor looking growth that became noticeable when I saw the fish couldn’t completely close its gills on one side and a slight increase in respiratory rate. Had the fish for 1.5 years and was otherwise in perfect health. Also, I am very cautious with adding new fish and have not bought anything new in recent months. Unfortunately, the fish stopped eating on Friday and died this morning. Would obesity cause something like this to develop? This particular specimen was always a pig at feeding time…. And most importantly, is this contagious? All other tankmates are long term captive and acting normally.

Could be gill hyperplasia.

this is something i would peg up to as out of my control. i have probably lost more fish than most of the people on this forum and can say that sometimes its your fault and sometimes not. a lot of fish die in the ocean by natural process and i think this is an example of that.

Thank you all for your input. This is all very helpful. I first assumed that maybe the fish was stung by an anemone because it used to dart around for food and maybe got zapped in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its just heartbreaking losing this fish. And I was worried that it was contagious.