• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question about upgrading a light fixture

Hi all:

I have an aquaspacelight fixture with 2 150watt hqi and 2 PC actinics.

I got it dirt cheap last year, just had to replace one of the ballasts. Did that, that was a snap. Now it seems the other has bit the dust. I think the thing was getting too hot as apparently it would turn itself on and off regularly throughout the day (both ballasts are icecap electronics by the way).

At any rate, my question was can I replace the ballasts with 250 watt ballasts and use the same double ended bulb sockets? Or do I have to replace the bulb sockets as well?

150w and 250w DE bulbs are different sizes. You would have to replace the sockets as well, if it's even possible with that fixture.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Not sure if the new socket will fit in there or not. Will have to take a look and see. Might not be worth it. Just changing the ballast is 3 screws and 3 wire nuts, no biggie.

I may just go a different route all together. Dunno if I want to slap another $125 into it for another 150 watt ballast. For nearly that price, I can pick up a 250 watt retro kit.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more towards that. I can always tear apart the existing fixture and just retro fit the working 150watt and PCs and put that over the 30 gallon. At least it won't go to waste. :)

Hmm.. Now, mogul base or HQI?