• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question on feeding coral...

malulu

NJRC Member
Hi,

I have a Candy Cane coral, it have at least 30 heads...
due to the location i have it in the tank, some heads on the opposite side of the tank i wont be able to feed it... it ithat OK? or I have to feed all heads some how?

thx for the advise.

David

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Candy canes will filter feed and do not need to be fed individually. As a matter of fact they really don't NEED to be fed directly at all, fun though it is. They are actually photosynthetic and can get most of their needs met by good lighting.

HTH.

malulu

NJRC Member
Phyl,

how come some of the website say they need to be feed?
candy cane coral

i have two smaller sets, about 5 heads each, they were full and puffy when i brough them, and they became very thin over time... then some one told me that they need to be fed... so i started to feed them with Cyclop-eeze twice a week, and they are now starting to getting better...

i bought this new one from the march meeting - just count it again, it have about 50 heads, (the same kind that you have with your altar)... i fed them with frozen brine-shirmp... they seems doing ok... just not sure i need to feed all heads or not...

thx again for the advise as always.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What they say is true:

"It will benefit from additional food fed weekly in the form of brine shrimp or micro-plankton. "

Yes, it will BENEFIT from direct feedings, but they aren't REQUIRED. Sun corals, by contrast, are non-photosynthetic and each head needs to be fed in order to survive. The trumpets don't NEED to be fed, but may grow faster if you do (hence the benefit).

HTH.