• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

question. pistol shrimp.

hi everyone.

i found a pistol shrimp at LFS and purchased it. after acclimation, i noticed it paired up right away with my yellow shrimp goby. the shrimp goby moved it's home from one location to another location in the tank where the shrimp and the goby now live together.

my question is this... i noticed that both my med yellow tang and my overgrown damsel (the damsel that likes to kill my other fish) are eyeing the shrimp. i can tell they both like to hove around the shrimp's cave and attempts to sneak a peck in or two.

i would like to keep the tang in the tank. it won't take much effort if someone tells me to move the damsel out. will the pistol shrimp be safe in this enviornment or will it eventually become food for either the tang or the damsel. again, if anyone has any experience with pistol shrimp.... i would appreciate any insight.

Jay

NJ_ychung1 said:
it won't take much effort if someone tells me to move the damsel out.

I just want to quote this and say thats what you think.

Damsels are evil and teach other fish to do bad things. I would get rid of the damsel because they pick on the other fish all the time in any tank. I had to throw my black/white damsel to the sump because he started to pick on my new sailfin in the 220.

i'm ready to dump the damsel. i just don't know i can part with the yellow tang. i also have a clarki clown and i think he's also looking for a snack. i can tell that the damsel is the most persistent in keeping his watchful eye on where the P.Shrimp burrows.

question is will it be enough to remove the damsel or can the yellow tang or even the clarki eventually get to it....

If you can get the damsel out do so . It will be easier in the long run to add other fish if you ever want to . The shrimp should be able to defend itself and the goby should help it . I also would not be able to get rid of one of my tangs for a shrimp,especially a yellow ,there way too nice . Good Luck and toss the damsel . Before greenpeacers yell at me I dont actually mean to toss(flush) him just move him to a better place like someone elses tank .

I'd be surprised if they were able to harm the pistol - but how big is it? I guess if it had just molted it would be at risk. A large pistol shrimp should easily be able to stun a fish that is dumb enough to enter it's burrow. But that shouldn't happen as long as the goby is guarding the burrow.

after a couple of days, i think the fish figured out that PS don't make a good snack. don't know what happened but the constant hovering no longer a problem. what i have noticed is that this shrimp really really likes to dig. it dug out so much sand and gravel from his cave and he never seems to stop. he's def a workaholic. he's in the zone. he never stops. i haven't moved the damsel out yet but i will at some point because that will mean i can add back other fish that are in the sump right now.

thx for everyone's help.

jay

The yellow tang is safe unless the damsel has taught him some nasty tricks. He's probably just curious. How'd you get that damsel in there without killing the clarkii? I mean, clarkii's can hold their own but if I recall, your tank is kinda crowded to be housing these guys together (not to mention the tang).

after the damsel killed a black percula, i bought the largest clarki i could find. he's def holding his own. they got into some fights as well as the yellow tang picking on the clarki but the clarki got real friendly with my outgrowth of anthelia. whenever the damsel and the tang start attacking he would dive right into the anthelia and that's been working for him.

by the way, after work, i was looking for the shrimp and i noticed the damsel still continues to circle the area for any opportunity at the shrimp.