• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Questions

Hi Ruden
What are your questions you want to ask.I have one for you .Were do you live.If you need help setting your reef up maybe I can come and help you.Also you should come to a meeting and you mite want to join.It's cheep and sometimes you mite get some free or a good price for a frag.Like if you come I'd give you a frag of xiena.I frag so much of it.The stores buy it from me like $40 and sell it for $60 and I would just give you some for free.So thats worth joinning!But I'm not making you just it really helps out.But feel free to ask your questions.

Just in case you deside to go this coming Sunday .I won't be there,because they just desided last min. and my schedule is full for Sunday but maybe next if it's not to far south.

Sorry BigRottie, I posted my question in the wrong spot. I was in two different forums.

I live in Egg Harbor Township how about you?

Here is my questions.
OK, I currently have a 150 FOWLR which has been up for over a year and am seeting up a 55 gal reef.(which was my 1st SW tank) For as much as I thought I knew I realize I don't know that much about a reef set up, so here are some questions.

I would like to have various types of corals and even a clam or 2.

My lighting will be 4X65 260 Watt, 2 day 2 True 03 Blue Actinic + 1 150 WMH. How does this sound?
Should I go with 2 260 watt units with moon/lunar lights?

It has been suggested to go with Dual 175 MH Retro kit as I am doing a DIY Hood.

I plan on painting the back of the tank black and using black sand. Anyone see any problems?

Skimmer-Need suggestions for a resonable one. In sump and hang on.

Wet/Dry Filter, Sump and Refugium all DYI projects
Bio media suggestions? Can this be done DYI as others have suggested.

Water flow- I was thinking of putting down black PVC for which my LR can sit on. I will drill holes in the tubing and cap one end. This should provide flow from below? Good idea?
+ I will have other water movement at different levels.

I would also like to have suggestions for the progession of the tank. Specifically good corals to start with then moving to medium,hard and what time frame.

Suggestions for reading material. I mean can I find everything on here? I don't want waste $ on books but believe this is probably 1-2 that are must haves.

OK I am sure there is more but this is a start

Hobby Experience: 15 months
Current Tanks: 150FOWLR, 15FO, 55reef just starting
Interests: Saltwater

Re:Questions
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:40:28pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry BigRottie, I posted my question in the wrong spot. I was in two different forums.

I live in Egg Harbor Township how about you? Westfield

Here is my questions.
OK, I currently have a 150 FOWLR which has been up for over a year and am seeting up a 55 gal reef.(which was my 1st SW tank) For as much as I thought I knew I realize I don't know that much about a reef set up, so here are some questions.

I would like to have various types of corals and even a clam or 2.

My lighting will be 4X65 260 Watt, 2 day 2 True 03 Blue Actinic + 1 150 WMH. How does this sound?
Should I go with 2 260 watt units with moon/lunar lights?

It has been suggested to go with Dual 175 MH Retro kit as I am doing a DIY Hood.
I agree with thedual 175MH
I plan on painting the back of the tank black and using black sand. Anyone see any problems?That sounds nice will make the corals really stand out.Like to see pics.

Skimmer-Need suggestions for a resonable one. In sump and hang on. I have the Remora Aqua C Pro you can see them at www.proteinskimmer.com .or alot of people like the Euro line I hear worth the extra doe.

Wet/Dry Filter, Sump and Refugium all DYI projects
Bio media suggestions? Can this be done DYI as others have suggested. You can use a wet/dry but with no bio media( only addes to your nitrates),sump good,I'm not crazy on the refugium but the plus with it your Ph stays more constant but that could be done with controler.

Water flow- I was thinking of putting down black PVC for which my LR can sit on. I will drill holes in the tubing and cap one end. This should provide flow from below? Good idea?
+ I will have other water movement at different levels. Sounds good use 1/2" 3/4" just remember the bigger dia. of pipe the bigger the pump needs to be.

I would also like to have suggestions for the progession of the tank. Specifically good corals to start with then moving to medium,hard and what time frame. I'd start with soft and work towards the hard,I think most stay with either hard corals only or soft only,but I've seen both together.but ask alot of question buying them some will sting others and make shure there room for thoses.I also look at what lighting they have the coral under and the flow they need.

Suggestions for reading material. I mean can I find everything on here? I don't want waste $ on books but believe this is probably 1-2 that are must haves. Theres a book called aqurium corals that good.But I like asking people cause books can be provin wrong.Reef Central is good place but I go to www.thereeftank.com for my answer and learning.MO RC is snobbie and your treated better at TRT(The ReefTank)They don't think any question is stupid and that should be the way people should beYou'll see me there alot.
If you got some time you should go to the meeting this Sunday and see whats going on.I can't make it but the next one I hope to be at!Wish you all the luck and do hesatate to ask again.But go ask in RC or TRT and you'll get all different sugestion to your question.but if you want to talk to me see me in TRT cause I don't go into RC that much!
OK I am sure there is more but this is a start

Hobby Experience: 15 months
Current Tanks: 150FOWLR, 15FO, 55reef just starting
Interests: Saltwater

I am seriously considering joining, in what areas are the meeting mostly held? Is there a South Jersey division? SJersey being Atlantic,Cape, Gloucester or Ocean County?

Are the meetings on a set schedule? Like the 1st or last whatever of each month or every other month?

Thanks, Everyone has been so gracious in answering questions.

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The meetings are once a month. Last month was in South Jersey (Sicklerville). This month is in Central (Jackson). Next month will be up north. As far as I know the April date hasn't been set yet.

Dues are only 12$. Hardly worth even wasting the time thinking about! We get a discount at Tropaquarium and they're working on a place in Toms River also.

Like Phyl said they try and move it around every month so the club gets the whole state,but there seems to be more s.jersey guys.like there getting disconts at s. jesey places which is great for you.You'll get your $12.64 .64 for paypal accont right back on one purchace.At the rate of gas going up I'd lose to get the discont but I mite find things that don't sell up here.Go to a meeting and check it out.

How does the discount program work and what are some stores that participate. This is not a deciding factor just wondering. I certainly think the knowledge on here is work the $12.00.

Thanks

Bob