• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quick question

I was looking into getting say a MH hanging light fixture for above my 29 gallon (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4) and would like to know what width fixture would be recommended for this size tank if the width even matters. Not going to be keeping SPS if that helps your guys' answers.
Thanks

The aquamedic hqi pendant is really nice. Small and compact, if you look at my pics on frag tank up and running you can see what it looks like.

Cant find the pics but i did find some nice ones on reef central. Do you think that the 9" 150w HQI pendant would be sufficient?

Xavier613 said:
I was looking into getting say a MH hanging light fixture for above my 29 gallon (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4) and would like to know what width fixture would be recommended for this size tank if the width even matters. Not going to be keeping SPS if that helps your guys' answers.
Thanks

Before you do this, think about it carefully. Since you don't plan to keep SPS corals, it's unlikely you need MH lighting. In addition, you'll get a lot more heat out of MHs, compared to T5s or PCs. So make sure you really understand the various factors involved with MH before you spend the money.

Another factor is that MH is a point source of light. This is not good or bad, but since a 29 gal tank is 30 inches long, and each MH bulb usually lights up about 24 inches, the ends of the tank will be slightly dimmer than the middle. Again, this isn't bad, because you can put corals that need less light there, but it is a difference.

All that being said, MH does give some fantastic looking light, and some people will use it just because of that.

I do think a 150w HQI pendant would be just fine. I use a 175w mogul base MH on my 30 gal reef, and it works well. While not as critical as it is on larger fixtures with more or larger bulbs, I highly recommend electronic ballasts. The additional cost will pay for the ballast, and you'll save on electricity and the amount of heat produces is lower.

reason im asking about this type of unit is that im thinking of purchasing a used one for about half of the cost of the sunpod. only real reason to choose it over the other.
As for heat, tank is in a windowless basement where the ambient temperature is not above 65 and has plenty of air movement and an open top.