• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Re: AC Jr opinons (how does it compare to an AC3)

How about the Neptune Aquacontroller JUNIOR...how does it stack up?

post split from AC3/RKE topic to get better feedback --Phyl

Re: AC 3 or ReefKeeper

For the ORP and only one PH port how important is it if you are dosing with a 2pt solution and have one tank? Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am just trying to learn what I can.
Thanks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: AC 3 or ReefKeeper

The second PH port is most useful when you're using a Ca reactor so that the other one can be watching the tank PH. The orp depends on your likelihood to use ORP.

Comparison Chart

You just look down the list of check marks and see which ones you think you're likely to want in the future. I do believe that a simple setup can be run effectively on a AC Jr.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are a lot of people on here running systems on AC Jr's hopefully some will chime in.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No problem! Hopefully you get more advice specific to your questions this way.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is a comparison chart between the differnent AC Models.
http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=40

The Jr is a great controller, but the AC3 is a better deal. Almost everyone at some point wants to get their controller on their networks to make changes, and dedicating a computer to that task is uch a waste when the AC 3 is built in.

If you are not expected to grow equipment, then the JR is fine. If you aren't sure what you are growing into, then the AC3 is better (12 vs 24 timers, expansion panels for AC3, etc)

Programming language is the same for both, and there are a lot of people that can assist with programming.

OK I don't see myself needing 24 timers honestly..unless I set up a second tank next to the main one...nonono my wife would kill me :D. So I guess I need to figure out if I want to put it on my network. I guess none of them have a water sensor built in that will email you emergency emails? Now that would be feature. I will be waiting a while in any case so hope I can check out a few peoples in person before I make a choice. Thanks.

JRWOHLER said:
I guess none of them have a water sensor built in that will email you emergency emails? Now that would be feature.

And that would be a reason to get an AC3. If you can find a water sensor with digital output, you can get the IO Breakout Box accessory for an AC3 to accept the input. With the built in webserver and Aquanotes software, I believe you can e-mail alerts.

I will be waiting a while in any case so hope I can check out a few peoples in person before I make a choice. Thanks

You have an open invitation James, I run an ACJr on the 75gallon tank.

Thanks Bill...I will take a look sometime for sure. What are you going to run on the big tank? Please let me know if and when you need any help BTW.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
I guess none of them have a water sensor built in that will email you emergency emails? Now that would be feature. I will be waiting a while in any case so hope I can check out a few peoples in person before I make a choice. Thanks.

I do that now. I have a Water Bug plugged into the Breakout Box on my AC3. If water is detected, then it shuts down the skimmer and return pump and emails me, plus flashs a warning Lamp near the tank. (Chirstmas bulb behind the tanks flashes red with any alarm the AC3 generates).

pgordemer said:
JRWOHLER said:
I guess none of them have a water sensor built in that will email you emergency emails? Now that would be feature. I will be waiting a while in any case so hope I can check out a few peoples in person before I make a choice. Thanks.

I do that now. I have a Water Bug plugged into the Breakout Box on my AC3. If water is detected, then it shuts down the skimmer and return pump and emails me, plus flashs a warning Lamp near the tank. (Chirstmas bulb behind the tanks flashes red with any alarm the AC3 generates).

Sorry can you explain the Breakout Box? Would the JR have the box, without the email feature?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
Sorry can you explain the Breakout Box? Would the JR have the box, without the email feature?

The breakou box allows you to wire things directly as digital input switches.
http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=40

It is used with the AC3 or PX1000 expansion. It can be used on a Junior also - BUT then you have no serial port, and no connection to a computer, so email and alarms are not an option. The AC3 directly connects to Ethernet and has a webserver and email server built into it, so its serial port is open for the breakout box.

One other note that Neptune doesnt list anywhere. The AC Jr is limited to 40 lines of programming. Not sure what the limit of the AC3 is but I know it is significantly more.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
stcreef said:
One other note that Neptune doesnt list anywhere. The AC Jr is limited to 40 lines of programming. Not sure what the limit of the AC3 is but I know it is significantly more.

Its 40 for Jr, 100 for AC3, and 120 for AC3 Pro