• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Real or fake?

C

concept3

Let's take a poll :)

eggharbortwp.jpg

I can't say for the whole picture if it is completely CG or real or composition, but this particular piece is definitively "doctored" in some way. The "bleeding" of the illuminated sky (between clouds) into that pole is very obvious:

Attachments

• eggharbortwpA.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 65
C

concept3

so one poll for "fake"

by the way, I'm talking about the sunset as a whole :)

any one else?

Well, :) I have some other reasons (clues) to believe that sunset itself is not fully genuine as well, but then I don't want to spoil the fun for others. Also, I have witnessed some really strange and fascinating atmospheric sights myself, so, in the end, I might be wrong and this can be really nice pic of NJ sunset.

Real!

Got to love those chemically enhanced sunsets! ;D

Although, in all seriousness, I've seen some pretty awesome sunsets in my days, so I could believe it. Looks just like the most awesome sunset I've ever seen (Keywest!)

GregW said:
I have to change my vote to fake. Did you notice the bottom left corner?

What about the bottom left corner? It just looks dark to me so I'm obviously missing something.

Carlo

PS my vote is for fake (otherwise why would he ask) :)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm going to say it's fake...something about the clouds in the upper left corner...

Although I'm secretly hoping it's real, because it's a beautiful picture regardless.

cmsurfr22 said:
i think it has too many imperfections to be fake

There are two types of "fake" : a) completely CG. Today's top notch software can generate precisely those imperfections for precisely that purpose. Just look at any of the Hollywood movies and you will see tons of those CG images of fire, smoke, waves and hordes of warriors and animals.
b) Photomontague - where the product is composed of pieces of real images. Photoshop's most (by some authors) valuable tool - the cloning brush, is precisely that.

C

concept3

OK OK

It's real. The first shot was taken using my Nikon and this shot was taken by my photo buddy's Canon as I was trying to make adjustments on my D200.... didn't know she took it until she showed me yesterday. The first pic I think was taken using the 60mm (I forget :) )

eht.jpg

Pics were cropped to add depth to the pic- probably one of the coolest sunsets we've gone "hunting for"

It's a really pretty picture Merv. I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to see a sunset like that in NJ.

Do you mind if I copy it to my comp? It would make a really nice desktop theme.

hey MERV you didnt give me a chance to vote. but i would have said it was real knowing how well you take pics. very cool sunset