• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Really Quiet Pressure Pump

Hello all,

I am looking for a really quiet pressure pump that can guarantee me something in between 225 and 275GPH at an 8/9 foot head. Normally pumps in this area are 3/4" but I have to dumb it down to 1/2" so that will drop the GPH too. I was thinking about the Coralife Turbo Sea High Pressure Pump-580P. The max flow rate is about 586. So looks like I would have to use a valve in there some where. I really don't want to do this, so I was thinking about the PanWorld 30P -MD15 E ternal Water Pump - 258gph. But I heard that they were crap.. I need some help here in making a decision of what to get. So if you have any suggestion please pass them on. I need this before anything else.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would be reluctant to restrict the flow coming out of your pump. It's really not good for them. The best thing to do would be to come out the the pump and go into a Tee. Have one leg from the Tee go to where ever you are currently planning for it to go (return to the display tank, ect). Put a ball valve on the other leg and have it return right back to the sump or where ever the pump is drawing water from. You adjust the ball valve to the point where your return flow is where you want it and all of the excess water is goes right back into the sump. This way you get the right flow amount of flow in your display and your pump can run at full output with being stressed.

HTH.

I agree 100%, that is why I want a pump that does not NEED valves and T's. This is coming out of a AP12 and I do not want anything other then my fiber woven 1/2" id tubing to go from the tank to the pump, from the pump to the chiller, from the chiller back into the tank. I will be placing the pump on rubber shock absorbing grommets to reduce vibration on the table. I will be drilling two holes to accommodate the grommets that the hosing will feed through. It will be perfect. :)

Using a T somewhere after the outlet is actually handy and I will be putting one on my new tank. This extra flow will be going into a refuge on the far end of my sump that overflows into the center of the sump.