• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Recommendation on Frag Tank

Good morning and happy Monday everyone. Can anyone provide some advice on a rimless frag tank supplier? I have looked online and have only seen the premium brands (Red Sea, etc) or custom supplier, all of which are going to break the bank for what I am hoping to achieve (ie not letting my wife know how much I actually spend!! :greedy_dollars: or better put, spending within her limits of reasonableness). Roughly just looking for a glass, rimless, drill frag tank in the rough dimensions of 3 foot by 2 foot by 12'ish inches deep. (Could be longer and/or fatter, not necessarily space bound). I have been monitoring the used tank forums but really haven't seen something along these lings come up for sale lately. Any advice / suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I know you said rimless, but you can get a lowboy tank for $105. I’m running a few of them and they are very functional. They measure 48x24x10.

I’m also running a seapora 45 rimless as frag tank. It measures 48x18x12. It’s reef ready , but only relies on one drain. I would have preferred to drill myself for the drain type I wanted sans overflow, but it was in stock when I needed another tank.

Aquarium center in Blackwood usually has both of these. The hidden reef in philly usually has hundreds of tanks in stock, they might have what you’re looking for.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about the lowboy as well. I just haven't ever drilled a tank myself and figured that by the time I get done paying someone to drill it, I could buy one that is already reef ready for the same price.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Check out Craigslist and amazon marketplace- Ocean Image aquatics in ledgewood closed it's store and was selling used breeder tanks- but that was a while ago

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about the lowboy as well. I just haven't ever drilled a tank myself and figured that by the time I get done paying someone to drill it, I could buy one that is already reef ready for the same price.
Drilling is easy there is a ton Of info on how to do it. You’ll be fine.

If you aren’t in too much of a hurry and not set on a rimless tank, I’ll be selling my 48 inch deep blue reef ready frag tank in about a month. It’s going to be temporarily holding some fish until my new tank cycles so it will be a few weeks.

DangerDave

NJRC Member

Like Rob said, it’s a fairly simple thing to do. You just need patience, the right bits, and a tank without tempered glass. I’ve yet to break a pane of glass that wasn’t tempered (it was all my fault on that one)

can just build your own really I mean if you want something super nice.
get glass shelving online or maybe at local shop for the walls and you can get a scrap piece of marble or granite at local countertop shop for bottom, they'll even drill it out for you. imagine the colors you can choose from!

you're welcome! :laugh: