• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RED HAIR ALGAE?

HI Guys, I think I am getting red hair algae if that is even possible.

It is growing on the rocks where the rocks have a red color on it. First I thought my rocks were getting the red colorine alage (the good ones that give rocks its color) but a few days ago, I am seeing that its like a hairy red thing growing.

I'll take some pics and post it up most likely tomorrow. But if anyone knows what I am talking about, could you give me suggestions.

I think it maybe due to the fact that I don't use RO/RI water, but for a nano tank those are expensive.. I am however using this thing called Tap Water Filter by
Aquarium Pharm

I guess that thing you are using is better then nothing, but depending on your tds in your area it will be used up quickly or not. You need to test for nitrates, phosphates and silicates. Go get some test kits. Test them all and then post back your results. If you have silicates or phosphates, you need to change your water to distilled or get a RO/DI and add some phosguard to what you have now ( read directions ). If you have nitrates, then ( I don't recall atm ) you might have a large bio load or your tank might still be cycling. What is your DKH, PH and Temperature normally? Is there a large swing in temperature?

I guess I should ask:

What is the temperature of the tank min / max?
How old is the system?
What is in the tank?
How often do you change the water?
How often do you test your water and what do you test for?

There are a million possibilities I am just trying to track down the culprit.

I think its phosphates...that is causing the algae... I can't even measure Nitrates in my system.. nor nitrites.

I do a 30% water change every week..

The temp is around 79..

The tank has been established since july,

The tank has corals, fishes, and live rock 30#, and some more in the back of the chamber.

I check the water once a week.. but never checked it for Phosphate.

IF it is phosphates and its do to the water is there anything I can do to reduce the phosphates like getting algae magic???

B/c I am sure I don't over feed my fishes..

Amritroy2003 said:
HI Guys, I think I am getting red hair algae if that is even possible.

It is growing on the rocks where the rocks have a red color on it. First I thought my rocks were getting the red colorine alage (the good ones that give rocks its color) but a few days ago, I am seeing that its like a hairy red thing growing.

I'll take some pics and post it up most likely tomorrow. But if anyone knows what I am talking about, could you give me suggestions.

I think it maybe due to the fact that I don't use RO/RI water, but for a nano tank those are expensive.. I am however using this thing called Tap Water Filter by
Aquarium Pharm

You most probably have cyanobacteria growth. It can take several forms, though most common is a red/brown/burguny/greenish/purple film or velvet cover, with possible filaments, trapping small bubbles after longer existence. It is a normal occurence in new tanks (july tank is still a new tank) and should go with maturing of the tank with certain corrective measures.

First you must test for phosphates and nitrates. Test it at least in the beginning, while your system is still setting. Test the water before you add it and the whole tank, which will verify the efficiency of your filter. How big is your system and what is the bio-load? 30% water changes weekly is a bit excessive for any system that has efficiet filtration (skimmer, live rocks). Just because fish will eat all of the food that you have given them, it does ot mean that you are not overfeeding them.

In the short run, for small systems, there are a couple of things you can do to remove phosphates, like various resins : http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/pro...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=phosban

In the long run you need to have a good quaity water (investing into RO unit allways pays off in the end), efficient skimming and controlled quality feeding. Right light spectrum, efficient water movement and scrubbing the rocks will also help.

Just because fish will eat all of the food that you have given them, it does not mean that you are not overfeeding them.

Could you then tell me what is the correct amount to feed them? ( I thought the correct way to measure the amount of food to give was to make sure they eat all of the food that you given in a couple of mins.

The reason why I do a large amount of water change is b/c my bio load is very large.. I have 6 fishes in my 24 gallon tank. (they are all still small, even then I don't want to take the risk of having high ammonia)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could feed them as little as once every 2-3 days, depending on the types of fish you have. My fish would eat a handful every 15m if I fed them that often! Since we have anthias I do feed them each day (sometimes twice).

Amritroy2003 said:
Just because fish will eat all of the food that you have given them, it does not mean that you are not overfeeding them.

Could you then tell me what is the correct amount to feed them? ( I thought the correct way to measure the amount of food to give was to make sure they eat all of the food that you given in a couple of mins.

The reason why I do a large amount of water change is b/c my bio load is very large.. I have 6 fishes in my 24 gallon tank. (they are all still small, even then I don't want to take the risk of having high ammonia)

Unfortunately I can't. :( It would be very presumptuous from anyone to say it just like that, since it depends on so many things: What type of fish, what type of food, size of the fish, individual preference and feeding habits of each individual specimen, size and maturity of your system, other available sources of food like plankton, pods and algae growing in your system. You have to find the balance in your system among all these things and that is the beauty of this hobby, isn't it :)

That being said, I am sure we can come up with a few helpful things and pointers if you give us a few more details like what type of fish you have.

each specimen.