• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Lobo Not doing well

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi All,

I have a red lobo that I won from Reefer Madness. It's not doing so well, and I would really like to get this thing back into shape. I have been dying to keep one of these for awhile now!

It's about 1/2 down in my tank (30") under 3 x 250w MH and 2 x 160w VHO Super Actinics in a medium/low flow area of the aquarium.

Parameters are as follows:
(Using Salifert Test Kits)

PH: 8.1 (11:15 pm - This test was done with my PH monitor not a test kit)
MG: 1290
CA: 450
ALK (Meq/l): 3.5
DKH: 9.92
SG: 1.025
Temp: 78-79
NO3: 0.2

I havent seen it's feeding tentacles out at all, so I haven't been able to feed it.

Thanks!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
I havent seen it's feeding tentacles out at all, so I haven't been able to feed it.

Try sucking up some frozen or freeze dried Cyclopes (in solution of course) in some flexible airline tubing and blowing it directly on the lobo. Wait a couple minutes and the feeders should be out and you can blow in some more food. If not check on it after lights out. Mine would really open up then.

HTH, Good Luck

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just before you feed turn off all of the flow to the tank. Then blow the cyclopeze on it. About 10m later feed the whole tank heavily and emphesize the lobo. It should open up to take any food in that you sit on it.

What they said above, but I add garlic as well.

I usually feed some to the fish first and the turn the pumps off. It gets the taste out in the tank and I start seeing feeding responses. A few minutes later I put some right on the coral. Eventually they open up.

Also, if you run a dusk cycle with your lights, do that as most LPS feed at night.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Slowy but surely the Lobo is looking better! I still have yet to see it extend it's feeders though... But I have been trying to target feed it. So maybe it's getting a little something.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! ;D

So what's the latest with the Lobo, Brian?

I've taken to feeding whole krill to my larger LPS like the bubble, plate and cyanaria.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not so good.. It actually fell in between the rockwork and I can't reach it.. It gets some light where it is.. So I figured I would just leave it right where it is and see what happens!