• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea Coral Colors

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I picked this up and dosing is not clear. Says to dose by calcium usage and no clue what that is. Is there a way to dose by gallons? My Ca was 440ppm few weeks ago. Today it is 400ppm.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@MadReefer there two ways to dose the Color from Red Sea. You can purchase their color test kits (which shows how much you need to dose) I did this for awhile but found it to be a big pain in the butt. The other way is to dose 1ml for every 5ml of Red Sea Cal you put in. (for example if dose 5ml of cal you would dose 1ml of each color) I found that to be the most easiest way to dose.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks. I think it odd they base it off Ca since it fluctuates. I don't measure weekly either. I will return this item as it seems pointless. Easier to just mix and measure new SW.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just 2 drops monthly Marcus, interesting. I couldn't send it back because of restocking fees so kept it. Asked around and seems people started with 1ml per bottle and dose that every 3 days without testing Ca. So I started the same yesterday and now you have me wondering if I should dose all 4 again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I plan to takes each week to determine if its helping or not.
Slim 10ml that seems l like a from what I read. What size tank?
Its a 90. The directions are very confusing. What I was reading online is is to dose according to my calcium uptake. Right now I dose about 62ml of calcium (Randy's) each day. At 1 ml per every 50ml I just made it an even 10ml weekly. I bought he Red Sea test kits to test for potassium and iodine. But damn you need to devote 1hr of your time just to run those tests! I figured it was working fine before I started messing with it why bother?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Update:
Been about a month and I do see some progress. The corals are growing as I see the acros branching and LPS seem much more full. This week there was a difference in color for acros as they started to turn light blue/lavender and one is now turning green, they were brownish. The only coral I don't see a color change for is my red digi. It is growing but still brown/tan looking. Will try and get pics up later if they show a difference.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Update:
Been about a month and I do see some progress. The corals are growing as I see the acros branching and LPS seem much more full. This week there was a difference in color for acros as they started to turn light blue/lavender and one is now turning green, they were brownish. The only coral I don't see a color change for is my red digi. It is growing but still brown/tan looking. Will try and get pics up later if they show a difference.

Awesome. Check your alk for the red digi. They like the alk on the lower side.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Pics. Best I can get.

Attachments

• 20170605_172628-1.jpg
    20170605_172628-1.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170605_172616-1.jpg
    20170605_172616-1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170605_172610-1.jpg
    20170605_172610-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170605_172610-1.jpg
    20170605_172610-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
I know this forum is a Little old but I was just looking for info on,this very topic because damn the instructions on this are confusing as hell.

To start i do use the red sea colors complete test kit and have started testing regularly now that I am keeping more sensitive coral, as well I do dose calcium regularly.

Now I am not sure if I am doseing correctly but this is what I do.
First the colors pro doseing,kit a b c d each have a primary foundation element that coralates with each supplement Magnesium, Potassium, Iodine, iorn with calcium connecting all of them. No unfortunately I can't find the booklet I had connected to the kit but after testing the primary elements I dose only what is needed for example if mag is low I dose B and so on.
So I dose 1 ML per every 25 gallons to raise the level 1ppm.
So far I have seen some change in the coral such as brightening of the colors and over all healthier looking appearance.
Also I wish I had the booklet for this because there are a couple of pages that explain the symptoms your tank will experience when different elemental levels are to high. I find,this useful to tell when your over dosing but also it gives you the knowledge to tell when,the chemistry in the tank is off at a glance and be able,to pin point what is off

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
if im right, you are supposed to dose them based on the calcium consumption in your tank...i can't confirm that though

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
if im right, you are supposed to dose them based on the calcium consumption in your...i can't confirm that though

You are correct. That is what I read in my booklet. The problem I see is calcium can change for many reasons so yin have to test and calculate to dose. To much work for me so I drop 5ml of each in my tank every 2 weeks.

You are correct. That is what I read in my booklet. The problem I see is calcium can change for many reasons so yin have to test and calculate to dose. To much work for me so I drop 5ml of each in my tank every 2 weeks.
Yes correct the book does talk about doseing based on calcium consumption how ever that is just one methode the book lists there are others.
So regarding calcium consumption and how to figure this out, there are a lot of factors regarding calcium consumption,in the tank coral, evaporation, temperature.. ECT but as stated way to,complicated to figure out exactly ...so lets simplify
First we should find are base level of calcium this is basically were the calcium lvl in tank remains at untreated lets say in this example its 400ppm and we dose are tanks to be 650ppm if we wait 3 days and test again and the level is 500ppm and then test again in another 3 days and its 350 we now know that weekly the tank consumes approx 250 ppm of calcium a week and approximately 45 ppm daily. Notice I used 6 days instead of 7 I did this because the 7th day is doseing day and it can take a full 24 hours for the levels in,the tank to find a balance. The numbers in this example are made up for simplification numbers in your tank can be much more drastic

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk