• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Stuff what is it and how do you get rid of it

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
My buddy has this stuff all over his tank. It came in on a rock from someones tank.
How do you get rid if it. its everywhere. He has a good skimmer and does water changes once a month.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be another thread on cyano or red slime algae control.

However, I can see from the pictures that it's something quite different. I'm not even sure if it's an actual problem or not. It might be considered unsightly, but it doesn't seem to be overgrowing the corals. It does look a little like coraline algae.

I'm going to follow this thread, as this is something I haven't seen before.

Ed can you or your buddy get a closeup of the red spots? It's hard to tell what that is at those distances.

Do you know how old the tank is? How long has this "new" rock been in there?

Does it move if you "swish" the sand with your hand or powerhead?

Does it grow on the underside of rocks or shaded areas or just in areas exposed to bright light? What kind of lighting does he have?

Does he have a phosphate test kit (may not be that helpful) and/or nitrate test kit to do a couple of tests for us?

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm with brian on that. Do they tend to disappear when the lights are out? When you shake the rock do they fall off (or can you blow them off with a turkey baster)?

That's one huge collection of FW!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
thats great news. Flat Worms. He got them with a RTBA. I guess you have to QT everything you get. When I say they are everywhere. Its a 120 viewable on three sides and its on everything. Steve what did you do to get rid of them.

I'd take a ride over with you Ed if it can be after 6pm any night but tonight.

While it could be flat worms I'm not so sure either way but it was one of the things I thought about earlier when I asked for a closeup. It could be a few things IMHO but you can't really tell from those pics.

Here's a really good picture of Red Planaria (red flatworms)
flatworms.jpg

Scooter Blennies will normally chow down on red flatworms and 6-line wrasses and Manderins on the white flatworms. I'm not a fan of flatworm exit myself so I would try and siphon as much out as possible and add a scooter blenny first to see if that can control it. If so you have no worries about any toxins being released from the flatworms when the die off.

If you/he goes with Flatworm Exit make sure he has a good way to run carbon and has enough on hand for a couple of refills (change out after one hour). Make sure to watch pH & oxygen carefully while doing FW exit.

Be prepared with a large water change of aerated water ready that has the same temp & pH as your tank, and follow the directions carefully. Be ready in case of O2 or pH problems. You'll also need water for a 25% recommended change after each dose/die off.

After dosing the product you will need to have the carbon ready to start using to absorb the toxins released from the die off (really nasty).

Don't be surprised if you need to treat with Flatworm Exit a few times to kill them all off and even then you still might get them back.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
IME, you can't follow the directions or you risk creating a resistant strain. Then nothing you do will work. I've done massive superdosing (3-6x) and had no ill effects from it. This was a softie tank though, no SPS.

Different people use the product different ways. Some start out light and go stronger while others just start with a 3-5x type dose to wipe it out fast. I think you need to judge the amount of toxins you will have in the tank and go based on that. With this many flatworms in the tank there are going to be a ton in the rocks that you can't see.

I personally think (just my opinion) the best and safest method for using Flatworm Exit is to:
1. siphon as much as possible out of the tank.
2. do a normal dose per directions and run carbon
3. do a double dose per directions and run carbon
4. do a triple dose per directions and run carbon

If they are in fact red flatworms I may even suggest starting with a 1/2 dose and then move up to a normal dose the 2nd time around. I wouldn't want to try and kill them all off at the same time or there is going to be a lot of toxins in that tank and the carbon won't be able to keep up.

You can remove some of the flatworms and move them to a bucket and then try a few drops per gallon to see where you start to kill them off. Use the minimum amount needed on the first pass with the product which will probably kill off 1/4 to 1/2 of them which will allow your carbon to remove the toxins as best it can.

By starting with a lower amount you can also watch your prized corals for any signs of stress too.

Carlo

YIKES that's alot of flatworms. I've heard some positive stories with FWE and some horror stories (crashed tank)... if it was me with that many I'd pull the rock and treat in tubs to remove the majority and then dose the tank to get any left behind. The more worms the greater amount of toxin in your system from them... and that's alot of worms!

I have a few in my 50g, populations come and go (never had that many, have to look to see them) but even with so few I've been to scared to treat the tank, I plan to treat rocks in tubs before I move them into my new 70g.

I also got mine when buying LR from someone (back in MI) before I knew such things could even be there. Lots to be said for qting EVERYTHING that will enter your tank or at the least dipping in everything from FW, FWE, Lugols etc. first.