• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

reducing noise and heat on a pump

I have mag24 on my 210 tank which i find a bit on the noisy side and my temp has also gone up a few degrees. this pump has a 1' outlet but i put a 1 to 3/4' reducer b/c the return bulkhead is 3/4'. could this be the reason for the noise and heat? I was thinking of putting 1' pipe about half way up then put in a union to reduce it back to 3/4". would that help?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know if it will help either (I think they're relatively well known for their noise/heat), but you should run the larger pipe all the way to the tank and reduce just as you hit the tank. The reason behind that has to do with the head loss you suffer on the smaller diameter pipe over the length of the run to the tank. Converting to an external, air cooled (v. the water cooled mag pumps) would be a benefit.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are you running that Mag internally or externally. If external, there are so many better choices out there that are not expensive.

After taking lots of basement tie in lessons from Phyl/John, I spent significant research time on external pumps. There are tons of choices if you want big, and lots of small choices, but the middle ground and going up 14ft from the basement took some time to do.

It is generally accepted that the piping run to or from an outlet should be at least the next size up from the connection then reduced back up or down as necessary. For consistency purposes and to not have to keep all different sizes of stuff, I made everything 1 1/2", then just reduced as needed. If/When I upgrade in the future, I only have to change the reducers.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For noise/vibration the old mousepad trick used to work well. Set the pump on a mousepad or piece of rubber.

How far back up (head) are you going back to the tank and how many gallons. Is this your primary turnover in the tank?