• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef tank Vacation "baby sitter" needed to look in on my tank PLEASE

Hi folks -

I am going on a big family reunion / cruise vacation for a week starting August 6th returning August 11th

I have a "house sitter" but I really don't trust this person to properly feed the tank and make sure water levels and parameters are maintained while I am away - she just doesn't have the background...

I have a 180 gallon reef with the sump in the basement (there are lots of pics here on reef central of the basement and tank) - I have mostly wrasse in with the SPS, LPS and clams and these are expensive fish that need to eat at least 2X a day..

I can get my housesitter to feed them (with some training) but would really appreciate an experienced reefer from the club to "look in" on the tank every other day to make sure the PH, water levels and temp are in tolerance - I will compensate for your time and will show you in advance where everything is and how everything is connected including the breakers and plumbing..

My concern also is power outages and my sitter having someone to call in an emergency

Since I will be on a ship - there will be little I can do from there (almost don't want to go)

I am in Middletown, NJ off of Middletown Lincroft Road about 3/4 of a mile from the Middletown Train station.

If any of you can help me I would be very appreciative - for this one week period??

My number is 908 400 2760 - please let me know or share any ideas as an alternative.

Chris

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris,

Since our systems are very similar, I wouldn't mind if you left them my number in case of an emergency. I might be able to swing by once in the middle of the week if you can't find anyone else. You're kind of far for me to come there every other day though.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can fish sit for you. If I come across any problems I can't handle, I'll call John.

John/Mike

You guys are terrific - I was really concerned and now I can enjoy this trip - I didn't want to impose on anyone - I am extremely grateful - I think that Mike's suggestion on only getting to John since he is far away in case something doesn't look "kosher" - is a great idea - I work from home most of the time so I can be here to show you the system anytime / any day that is convienent for you - let me know - I can be reached by cell 908 400 2760, home 732 671 3941 - I have my cell with me most of the time except at night (after 9PM) when I put it on the charger

Give me a call whenever your ready - in the meantime I am on my way to Marlton to pick up that Tenacor tank that Steve is selling - I will proably have this up and running in the same room as the 180 by August 6th - don't know if it will be plumbed to the sump in basement or a separate under tank sump - depends if I can get the plumbing done in time (I need to get a 2 1/2" hole saw to make the holes in the floor) - I don't think it would be a problem putting them to the same sump even if one is more a FOWLR setup vs a reef - what do you think?

Anyway - call me and we will set up a demo of the system = where everything is - etc

Chris