• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefer 525 XL Surprise!

It just randomly arrived yesterday while we were in the living room watching tv. It wasn’t supposed to arrive for another two weeks, so this was a complete surprise. For whatever reason, they flew it in from Arizona. Ordered it last Tuesday, shipped Friday and arrived yesterday. Crazy! Will take a week or so to get it up and running since I wasn’t expecting it for another two weeks, but I’m super excited!

Shoutout to @Sandeep1920 for helping bring it into the house!

Will document as much as possible!

Attachments

• 14FFA5DA-743F-41D5-B99A-CF8B55F0A8C6.jpeg
    14FFA5DA-743F-41D5-B99A-CF8B55F0A8C6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • AFAE7A72-A218-42DC-938F-EBC87546D992.jpeg
    AFAE7A72-A218-42DC-938F-EBC87546D992.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Looks awesome and can't wait to see what you do with it. Just in time for the holidays! BTW, what happened to that used tank you were buying from southern NJ?

Looks awesome and can't wait to see what you do with it. Just in time for the holidays! BTW, what happened to that used tank you were buying from southern NJ?
Oh man. That was a giant disaster lol. Great guy, just a lot went wrong. Needless to say, gave me the option to upgrade lol

Some quick updates. Everything is about 95% finalized now. I'm finally 100% satisfied with the aquscape. Skimmer is breaking in. I'm still moving around the MP40s and I still need an ATO because my tunze 3155 is still in my 50 AIO that's holding all my coral. But everything is going great! Absolutely love this thing. I had planned doing custom plumbing and adding a manifold because of the complaints I've read about their stock plumbing, but I've had no issues with it so I'm going to keep it at is, at least for now. Always open to feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_4451.PNG
    IMG_4451.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4450.PNG
    IMG_4450.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4449.PNG
    IMG_4449.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4448.PNG
    IMG_4448.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
congrats! honestly speaking, the stock plumbing is perfect. so many people complain about the valve, but if you have patience, it will work itself out. following!!

Okay. So several updates since the last time. The RSK 600 had been giving me some issues. It would randomly overflow and still can't get that dark dry skim. It seems to now be slowly settling in.

I was running 2 Kessil A360x's and was just not happy with them. I've had kessils since I first got into the hobby back in 2014 and have never had issues with them and loved them. But for whatever reason, I just wasn't happy with them on this tank. I couldn't get the spectrum right and there was a lot of shadowing and PAR was just bad. I wanted to keep it at just two light fixtures for the minimalistic look. SO, I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of XR30 G5s and WOW. I finished hanging them last night and I will NEVER use any other light. I've always read incredible things about them, but the price point was just so high. But I can tell you right now, I believe they are worth every penny. They take a dump on my Kessil's. The colors and how INSANELY crisp everything looks is like no other. I absolutely love them and am SO glad I made the move. All my pumps are mobius connected so it's nice now having everything on one app. I'll post pics of coral when I get another orange lens.
tempImageFIHP34.jpg
tempImage5VlKBN.jpg

Obviously removed the kessil controller. Finally added the Tunze 3155 into there. Took 3 weeks to get my color tubing, so that's finally in there. All that needs to be done here is calibrate the DOS and dial it in for calcium and alkalinity and buy an ecotech versa pump to dose Reef Energy AB+.
tempImageHKA0ey.jpg

Now running 4 filter media cups. Added some more matrix, marine pure block and other marine pure media, chaeto. i'm still looking at what fuge light to purchase, so any recommendations would be appreciated. I have a JBJ nano glo led, but am looking for something much stronger.
tempImagef91DZn.jpg

Looks great Mike! Congrats on those G5’s! And I agree with swapping the socks for the media cups - you can put Chemipure bags in there, use filter floss that you can just chuck, etc. And using the MarinePure allows you to get away with less live rock in the DT, preserving you cool aquascape.

For a fuge light, I’m literally running one of the Kessil 360s down there. Overkill yes... I turn it way down. But that’s what I had sitting around and it does the job well. If you don’t want to buy a new fuge light and have nothing to do with the Kessil, you can give that a try.

Are you gonna run a UV? The Reefer cabinets have enough room that you can add a decent sized in-line AquaUV in there, though it would require reworking the plumbing obviously.

Looks great Mike! Congrats on those G5’s! And I agree with swapping the socks for the media cups - you can put Chemipure bags in there, use filter floss that you can just chuck, etc. And using the MarinePure allows you to get away with less live rock in the DT, preserving you cool aquascape.

For a fuge light, I’m literally running one of the Kessil 360s down there. Overkill yes... I turn it way down. But that’s what I had sitting around and it does the job well. If you don’t want to buy a new fuge light and have nothing to do with the Kessil, you can give that a try.

Are you gonna run a UV? The Reefer cabinets have enough room that you can add a decent sized in-line AquaUV in there, though it would require reworking the plumbing obviously.
Thank you! The filter media cups are sweet and just so much easier to use. Socks are annoying as hell. Do you think I should add another marine pure block?

Eh I’m done with Kessils lol. I’ve been looking at the AI Prime Fuge. But haven’t decided. I’ve read good things about it.

No UV for me. I’ve never run one and is just something I don’t think is exactly necessary.

I don't think it hurts to run another MarinePure block. I know they tout all sorts of fancy benefits but I don't know understand it all - I have no clue what the difference is between the regular one and the phosphate removing one. But I basically treat them as superporous live rock that you can hide in your sump, thus freeing up your DT.

I have one in my refugium, a half piece in the return chamber, and even one sitting under my skimmer. Now I don't need a skimmer stand.