• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Refugium Bomb

The last 2 weeks I have been trying to start up my refugium again. The Chaeto has been in there for 2 weeks with a light but doesn't look that good, so I decided to scrap it as it was getting very brown. In doing this the dirt trapped in it and stray pieces got lose and are now blowing all over the tank. Aside from the detritus should i worry about the chaeto itself? Just letting things run so that it gets moved out and into the filter socks.

Total pain in the butt.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
This sums up the plight of the club as of today. There was a time where folks had the 'emergency' forum on their radar/alerts/beeps. Call it what you want.
Looking at this post 7 hours later, what help it is to the OP? Sorry @lefkonj but you should be fine.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
What light you using?
Honestly the best Cheato growth I had when I had a fuge was with a clip on light From HD. Grey light, orange trim, $8 or so. Put a generic spiral compact flourescent in there (25w?) and positioned it a few inches off the water surface. Was literally harvesting every weekend it was growing so quickly.
The brown sludge from the cheato won't harm anything.

I use the clip-on Home Depot light too on my hang-on fuge. It works much better than the light that came with it. Instantly increased the growth and the chaeto looked much healthier.
A couple of months ago I tossed some snails in the fuge and since then the chaeto’s looked even better, crisp and bright green and growing much faster.
OP, if you need chaeto to try to start again I’m happy to share.