• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

removing silica or silicate

hi. if you can comment on this that would help me. there was a recent thread about high levels of silicate in the tank. anyway, is the only way to remove a good amount and reduce the levels of this done thru water change over the course of several waterchanges or do some recommend using filter media.

thx if you know what is best.

J

When I had my problem and resolved the source of the silicates, I then ran Sera Silicate Clear media in a reactor to remove what was in the tank. Worked like a champ. But this shouldn't replace water changes or good maintenance.

stcreef said:
When I had my problem and resolved the source of the silicates, I then ran Sera Silicate Clear media in a reactor to remove what was in the tank. Worked like a champ. But this shouldn't replace water changes or good maintenance.

Perfect...all the advice you need.

Or......some people will not like this suggestion but you can go for biological solution.

Sponges and molluscs absorb need silica. But after awhile you may have opposite problem (silica deficient) and will actually have to dose silica.

Just putting it out there as a possibility (though I wouldn't go this route). I do like sponges though. Too bad it would be an expensive meal for my angels.

if i wasn't so lazy i'd put some pics up. it's yellowish-greenish. maybe this weekend i'll try. it's not big enough to frag but i get little bits of these all over diff rocks.