• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Renewed hobby - large scale models

radiata

NJRC Member
How expensive or inexpensive is your second hobby compared to your reefs? My second hobby is keeping Poison Dart Frogs. But maintaining feeder cultures of wingless Heidei fruit flies isn't especially demanding or expensive.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
How expensive or inexpensive is your second hobby compared to your reefs? My second hobby is keeping Poison Dart Frogs. But maintaining feeder cultures of wingless Heidei fruit flies isn't especially demanding or expensive.

Nice. My son had so many at one time. PM my what types you have; don't want to hi-jack the thread.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Bob,

I still need your address btw, have a shirt here to mail you :).

As any hobby its what you're willing to spend. I've already moved from that small cart to a 6' x 3' custom modelling desk. But, outside the setup it's reasonable. I built a small paint booth for $30-60, bought an airbrush and compressor for $200, built the desk but add on and materials probably cost around $150, initial brushes/paints/tints/resins etc about $150. So, about $450-500 initially, but I went a bit over the top, $100 should be plenty to get started if you're serious, as little as $20-30 if you just want to try it out (a kit, a few paints, a tube of glue).

Modelwise things vary considerably. Most of the 1/32 scale models (military stuff, cars, and such) run around $20-30, plus whatever miscellaneous paints you might need. One of those would keep me occupied for 3-4 hours on the build and 5-6 hours on the painting.
The larger scale models can run $75-$150. I picked up that Eagle kit for $80 and it kept me occupied for a few weeks. The recent Yamato kit ran $115, though I still have to do some research, spec colors, and pick up any missing paints, but it'll keep me going for a month or two.
Some of the kits that are made from PVC and resins for hard to find stuff (The Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Nautilus from 20,000 leagues, Babylon 5 Star Furies, etc) can get into the hundreds. Fortunately there's enough commercial stuff on the market (thank the Gods for the Polar Llights and similar companies) to keep me occupied at reasonable costs.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
At one time I was looking at the Red Dwarf Starbug ship to build and paint. Cost for the model was $80; I am not that into model building to drop the cash.