• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Replacing old filter with new sump/fuge

Hello All,
I am going to replace my Toms Rapids pro filter with a brand new sump/fuge. Will I have any problems with this new addition? Is this not recommended? I was told I could have a mini cycle. I have a 75 gallon reef tank that has been running for around 9 months. I would say the sump/fuge will hold about 15 gallons of water.
Thanks,
John

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What is in your filter now? If there's media in it that is holding bio filtration that might be true, but I doubt I'd be worried about it if my tank had 1.5-2#/g of rock in it.

Hi Phyl,
I have poly pad, carbon pad, 2 bags of carbon and about 4lbs of LR wich replaced the bio balls the filter came with. I have somewhere around 140lbs of LR in my tank and a HOB fuge with about 4-5 lbs of LR in it. I was going to add more LR to the new sump/fuge(5-10lbs.
John

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could always put the pads in the new sump and pull them out on your regular schedule if you're worried about losing their bioload capability, but with that amount of rock, I'm sure you'll be fine.