• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rock- Scape Submission Page

I'm Unsure about my Rock Scape. How to make a platform to keep it up off the glass and what design I'm going to use.. SO, I will make this a Club effort. I would like to use this thread to gather Pictures, Drawings of rock-scapes. They do not have to be yours or anyone even in the club, you can pull pictures from anywhere.

I will then submit a thread with a poll and let it run till everyone gets a reasonable amount of time to vote. The winning design will go in the tank and anyone is welcome to assist in doing so. This will probably run through the end of NOV between the two threads.

JRWOHLER said:
What sort of sand bed are you going to use? DSB, shallow, or bare bottom?
2" - 3 1/2" bahama Oolite probably, just enough for some things to bury themselves.. not really interested in jawfishes that dig deep holes..

I was thinking of using either acrylic rods or fiberglass rods to create pillars and if I have a flat piece - a cave - or even just an overhang.

I have read that you could use epoxy and twist ties in conjunction with the rods to create structures that are more pillar-like.

The other thing I was thinking of was to have one side of the tank at a different height then the other. This would provide a large open swimming area for the fish to congregate when feeding in the current.

I am also big into the minimalist look. I'd like to put more LR in my sump if possible and keep the display cleaner.

I dunno - I'm just kinda throwing out ideas...it's late and I just don't feel like looking at my work emails anymore...lol.

Hawkeye said:
I was thinking of using either acrylic rods or fiberglass rods to create pillars and if I have a flat piece - a cave - or even just an overhang.

Plastic coat hangers are cheaper

Hawkeye said:
I have read that you could use epoxy and twist ties in conjunction with the rods to create structures that are more pillar-like.

Zip ties right? Twist ties have metal in them :D

Here's when I did mine a few years ago. Funny how this hobby changes. I remember someone on RC making fun of my minimalist look after i got inspired looking at Japanese-style reef tanks, now there's articles and books about the minimalist reef keeper.

lr5.jpg

lr7.jpg

rock3.jpg

WHOLE-TANK.jpg

Here she is now:
n4.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I just ordered some marco rubble and some rods with nuts from his site. it should be here today. I plan on redoing my 90 since I lost almost everything in there. where did you get that stuff you used to hold the rocks together merv.

i was thinking the same phil. i didn't think that i was going to actually use the 2lb per gallon rule of thumb.. maybe some stuff on the sides that are a little high then a low low spot in the center.. I also like the look of yours merv with the actinics on. It looks more filled in

I dunno, looks like i 'll have plenty of time to decide. we got told we're going on dayworks which means i'm going to lose money. I guess i better get what i can at hidden reef..

Heads up, when a huge company like DuPont is cutting back you know the economy is really in the crapper

Edward771 said:
where did you get that stuff you used to hold the rocks together merv.

It's called thorite, a very quick setting cement (10 minutes). I am bringing some to Andy's meeting, what's left of it anyways. We're making these same structures since he was undecided on his aquascape some time ago too.

concept3 said:
Hawkeye said:

Zip ties right? Twist ties have metal in them :D

:-[ LOL - I am embarassed...yes that is what I meant! It was late and I was tired...lol

I was actually hoping to talk to you at the swap about your thorite stuff - but just never got around to it. :(

Now I have to plot my way to andy's to go to the meeting. I've got a wedding on the 22nd in Long Island and I know I'm going to be beat on the 23rd...

Ed- white cap industries in PA. They ship only, and it cost me like $5 for shipping since it was so close. The only thing is, when I ordered it 2 years ago, they said they were discontinuing the product, and it was a specific mix, the least likely to harm our corals... give them a shout, just tell them you need something relatively inert to saltwater. It cost me about $50 or so for a 50 lb bag and came in a bucket as a shipping container. I only have 2 pints worth, hopefully it's enuff, but you don't need much to use them since they're just the adhesive filler for the pillars