• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rose bubble Anemone

Just added to tank about two day on and for some reason he hasnt opened up. Can it be that he needs time to accumliate in the tank i have been moving him around alot. Do they usually take this long or even longer i have great light. My nitrate is not the best but working on it. I have a really cheap anemone that did open up completely so im ruling out the nitrate thing. ???

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
High nitrate and phosphate is not a good environment for the anemone. I'd work on frequent water changes to get it down. Other factors could be flow and light. What light was it under before and how is that different from where you have it now?

Whats better one big weekly water change or daily. In the past three weeks i must of changed 30% x 3. And still kinda of high :'( Well the guy that had it had vho i have metal halide so i dont think light is the issue. I have good flow. And where it is now its just not opening up was thinking he needed some time to settle in. I was ruling out the nitrate because wouldnt that affect my other anemone to which is happy.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It could be too much (more light than it was used to). It may need to acclimate to the light more. What happens if you put some screen over the tank? Will it open up then?

Your other anemone might have gotten used to the environment a little at a time (was the trate & PO4 better when you got it?) or it might just be more tolerant. This other 'nem may be used to better water conditions.

After you change the water is the NO3/PO4 climbing back up? Or is still high even after the water change? What kind of water are you using for your make up water?

It may just need time to acclimate. And yes after i chage the water it shoots back up to where it was at. Should i do a really big water change like more like 50% or is that to much at one time. I using an RO/DI unit so i know the water that i puting in is fine because i test it. Also i stopped the overfeeding.

Went home last night and the anemone was open like never before :eek: He opened up full blast but when the lights went out he went back to his old ways.I am Assuming this is normal.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If the lights go out suddenly (power failure or blew a circuit), the RBTA freaks out by either getting real big or real small. If you are just shutting down big lights to darkness, that’s normal. I go from shutting down the four t5’s to a single fluorescent for about 45 minutes before going to darkness. Reverse this for the morning. The “freak” isn’t as bad.

I would not worry to much about the nitrates. I am working on my levels in my 300 and they are currently in the 30ppm range. All my corals and anemones are looking great. I am in the process of trying the lower the nitrates with a sulfur denitrator.

Anemones do strange things so just make sure your water parameters stay up to par and all else should fall in line. Good Luck to you.

Yea im working on my nitrate levels too. but doing lots of water changes and i also shut of the lights from the metal halide to actinic bulbs to the night lights and the process is reversed in the morning.

They don't like light changes right away.. mine moved around for close to 2 weeks before it found its spot in the tank. It hid in a hole in a rock for 3 days.. then popped out for one.. then decided to slowly move from one side to the other till it settled down for a few days.. then moved out in the open and has been there for a month.