• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salifert alk test kit

Just bought saliferts alk test kit i use a 2 part cal/alk in my tank. KH value in dkh reads 14.7 how can i lower these readings should i stop using alk for a few days and recheck ??? Also the test kit came with alkalinity check solution instructions didnt say anything about using it for my readings am i doing something wrong possibly? Thanks all in advance for help

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Aceswild said:
Just bought saliferts alk test kit i use a 2 part cal/alk in my tank. KH value in dkh reads 14.7 how can i lower these readings should i stop using alk for a few days and recheck ??? Also the test kit came with alkalinity check solution instructions didnt say anything about using it for my readings am i doing something wrong possibly? Thanks all in advance for help

I think your 14.7 reading is a testing error.

The reference solution is to check that you are doing the basic test correctly. Run the ALK test, but using the reference solution instead of tank water. If you are doing the test correctly, then you should come within 10% of the setting that is printed on the reference solution bottle.

If you are close, run the ALK again with your tank water. If you still get 14.7, the stop dosing the ALK part, just the CA part (as long as the CA test isn't higher than 450.

Targets are CA - 400-450, ALK 7-11 DKH. A good balanced match is 420/10 or 450/11