• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salifert Magnesium test help Please!!!

Ok last night I got my oreder from bulkreefsupply.com I got one  2 part kit and an extra magnesium just in case since I've never dose it to my tank before....

I tested for MG using a Salifert MG test kit, I followed all the steps and after adding the entire MG-3 solution part of the test it did not change color. What should I do? Should I start adding MG to my tank? and how much at a time?

Thanks,

Jimmy

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jceli728 said:
Ok last night I got my oreder from bulkreefsupply.com I got one 2 part kit and an extra magnesium just in case since I've never dose it to my tank before....

I tested for MG using a Salifert MG test kit, I followed all the steps and after adding the entire MG-3 solution part of the test it did not change color. What should I do? Should I start adding MG to my tank? and how much at a time?

Thanks,

Jimmy

If you added the entire syringe of MG-3 and the test vial didn't turn from pinkish/purple to gray, it would mean that your mag is completely off the charts on the high side. If it started out blue/gray and stayed that way then your mag is off the charts on the low side. Either way, I would recommend testing again to confirm your results before doing anything drastic.

Thanks JohnS_323.

It's there any chance of my having high MG from TropicMarin salt mix? I will retest again right now, If my MG levels are high what can I do to lower it.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I doubt Tropic Marin would put you off the charts. If it is high, just let it ride and keep an eye on things. It should come down on its own without any ill effects to your tank.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Try getting a different brand of test kit and see what type of reading you get. I have been reading a lot of high test results with Saliferts lately but when testing with an API or other brand of test kits the readings are much lower.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good call, Matt. I would definitely recommend backing up any unusual or questionable results with a different test kit.

after you test with a different test kit and it is still high ,and you want to lower it you can do a few w/c but test the water that you make up with both test kit so you will know what test kit is right i use TM pro salts and if i remember correctly the AK is a little low and the mg and cal is just about right on